Fitness tracker?

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried out the latest fitness tracker wristbands? Good, bad? Been tempted to try out a fitbit charge hr and see for myself... What's your thoughts and experiences? Thanks...

I've read that the wrist ones aren't super accurate. I have the Scosche Rhythm+ that I have seen reviews where people wore them at the same time as a chest strap and they stayed within 3bpm. It straps to your forearm, so you get similar convenience.

jwatts

WKR
My wife started using a Garmin Vivofit HR last month. She likes it so far. Once she learned how to tell it what to record and when, she liked it even better. There are a few quirks occasionally with the Garmin Connect software that doesn't save the data in every place it usually logs it. That is about the only complaint so far.

Anyone tried out the latest fitness tracker wristbands? Good, bad? Been tempted to try out a fitbit charge hr and see for myself... What's your thoughts and experiences? Thanks...

Everytime i drive it adds a ton of steps

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
Everytime i drive it adds a ton of steps

My wife has a fit bit, one day she bragged to me at 9 am that she hit her "goal steps" for the day....I told her it was impossible she walked that much in her office...basically the carpet would be cut from her trail. Come to find out, she's real animated and every time she moved her wrist, it counted as a step haha. Now, if you actually start walking and reset it to zero, it's fairly accurate.

OP
Cinch

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your opinions guys. I'm really undecided. I looked at the reviews and they're mixed quite a bit really. Think I'll keep researching before I spend any money.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I have a garmin vivosmart hr. I got it because it tracks heart rate, syncs with my garmin GPS watch, and was free through my health insurance.

It's ok, I would be disappointed if I had paid money for it. If you are active, the step counter isn't going to tell you much, in my opinion.

The heart rate feature on mine seems accurate enough. I'm just running, so it's not super critical. It does have a tendency to drop the connection with the watch fairly frequently, that's annoying.

OP
Cinch

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed that a lot of these units are NOT waterproof... I think that's gonna be a problem in itself. The Garmin I looked at was waterproof, but the Fitbit was not.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this awhile back.

"I run the Fitbit Charge HR. On my 3rd one... Be careful with the charger. It kind of locks in on the underside and if you remove it at an angle it can pull the underhousing off. Its SORT OF accurate. If your HR gets too high or you sweat it loses the tracking. I also run a chest strap device (formerly Suunto Ambit 2, now Garmin Fenix 3) for when I workout. Chest strap monitors are typically known to be the more accurate device. I would say the Fitbit routinely over estimates my calorie loss during workouts. I also agree with being able to "game" the device. Any repetitive wrist movement will usually be recorded as a step. (insert inappropriate chuckle here!) For instance, when using a pole saw cutting trees for shooting lanes, it was mid-morning and all of the sudden my "Hooray! 10,000 Steps!" alert came on. Similar using hand saws, hammers, even some weight lifting. I'm usually about 1500 to 2000 steps ahead of my Garmin Fenix steps at the end of a day. For what it is, its a pretty neat little device, but take your results with a grain of salt. You may not be doing quite as much as what it implies. And don't get me started on the sleep function. Lol. Looking at those result will drive you batty. Not even sure what you would do to adjust. Happy to answer any questions if you have them."

Here is the full thread.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?40656-Fitbit-Garminvivo-Any-recommendations&highlight=garmin+fenix