Fixed 4 power scope with holdover reticle

My perfect hunting scopes would be 4x28 and 6x38 models from Light Optical Works (LOW) in Japan like they made for Weaver in the classic series. They were lightweight, well built, and affordable, and while not SWFA-level bulletproof, they're half the weight. Just add a turret and/or reticle.

Dennis

WKR
I have several Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 power with CDS turrets that work well. Looking on Leupold website they offer several low power variable scopes with CDS or MOA hash marks.

I have asked Leupold previously about ordering or building a fixed four or six power with an MOA reticle which I think would be perfect. Learn or convert ranging to MOA hold and you're done.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I would think a 250gr 35 Whelen load zeroed at 200yds would drop close to a foot at 300yds.

rayporter

WKR
i have had Cheryl do several reticles for me. she is good to work with. [Bill, her father has passed] call and discuss your project, she is willing to work with you on unusual stuff.
You are in luck - for $125 plus $20 per dot, you can have a custom reticle made and installed on some brands of fixed scope. This outfit is well though of in the benchrest community, and keep in mind it’s one person doing the work and rumor has it she may be slow to respond to emails.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I would be interested in a fixed 4 power scope with a reticle that would allow holdovers or turrets for dialing. I don’t think a decent one exists. Am I right or am I right? It would be for my 35 Whelen mountain rifle that I use primarily for bears. Any ideas?

You’re best best is either Iron Sight Inc and get a Weaver B4 4x with mildot reticle added, or finding one in good shape and sending it to Target shooter optics as linked above and having her install a new reticle.

rcook10

WKR
Leupold and Nightforce both make high dollar 30mm fixed 4.5x with dials for service rifle competition. I've always wanted to get my hands on them because they look like they'd be pretty great woods gun reticles and being able to dial reliably would be dandy.

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I am also looking for a fixed power scope for a 6x45 bolt gun that I built. Seeing as my shots would be well within 250 yards max, I don't feel that I need more than 6x. The best scope out there for my needs is the FX-II 6x36 with the LR Duplex. However, finding one is painful. I've had the SWFA 6x on my 17 HMR for years. Killed many squirrels via headshot with that scope within 30 yards. If that made that scope with capped turrets, I'd be all over another one.

You’re best best is either Iron Sight Inc and get a Weaver B4 4x with mildot reticle added, or finding one in good shape and sending it to Target shooter optics as linked above and having her install a new reticle.
How do you like the k4 series? Or older Redfields?

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have extensive use with old K4’s. However, in general they were decent as simple huntings scopes.

I have extensive experience using and trading in the old K series scopes. They were good reliable scopes for the money but are getting old and are sometimes prone to fogging. I would recommend having Iron Sight service them if necessary. The tracking is not as good as some modern scopes, with the exception of the micro trac models (this never bothered me a bit). I tend to favor the older series 60-B models. The T-series target model Weavers are fantastic scopes and track well. The older USA Redfields are also very good scopes and I always found them to be a little brighter than the USA Weavers. Iron Sight recently rebuilt a Redfield 6400 16X for me and did a great job. I have two fixed power Redfield Metallic Silouhette scopes from the 1970's that are outstanding scopes. One sits atop my custom Sako L579 Swift.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I'd like to see NF's 4.5x with a hunting reticle:

I've not used one or viewed the reticle other than online.

z987k

WKR
I'd like to see NF's 4.5x with a hunting reticle:

I've not used one or viewed the reticle other than online.
Make it 6x and mil/moa wind holds.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
6x42 on the nxs compact tube with capped windage and a reticle like Mavin's SHR Mil with only the inner floating dot illuminated and I'd be all over it. Losing the extra lenses and power adjustments of the NXS would get it even lighter with even fewer points of failure.