FL Catalyst. Is it really that bad in the wind?

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I had an opportunity to pick up a Sitka Cloudburst shell for much lower than retail but looks like it fell through... so I’m looking at other pieces. I like the FL Catalyst and have the Kiln. Is it really that bad in the wind? Will layering underneath help? This is for Montana early season elk

thanks!

Hondo

WKR
The Catalyst will block some wind but not anywhere close to the level of a jacket with a windproof barrier. I've worn a cheap windproof fleece vest from Sportsman's Warehouse under mine and it helped a lot. I sweat a lot so I liked being able to add some wind protection when I need it but have the breathability the rest of the time.

Catalyst definitely lacks in the windproof compared to Jetstream, no doubt. I ran it on several hunts last year, active ones with lots of hiking October thru November snow and it worked okay for the most part. It does breathe pretty well. IMO one of the biggest pros is how damn quiet it is. Seems like more of a bowhunters jacket.

It does feel a built overbuilt in certain of areas. Zippers on pockets are very stout, seam sealed. Nice to have but I could do without. Hood is built and fits well. Forearms are a tad tight but it does reduce the baginess you get from a lot of soft shells. +1 for bowhunters. I'll use it for dayhunts in the future but not something I'd really want to bring on a backpack hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
If it helps you decide on other options, I recently picked up a Sitka jetstream and although I have not put it through the rigors I can confidently say that the two are not even in the same league. The materials used, workmanship and fit/finish on the jetstream are far superior to the catalyst in every way. To compare, I took the jetstream out in 40mph wind with just a thin t-shirt underneath and felt like nothing penetrated the material on the jetstream but could discernably feel quite a bit of wind getting through the catalyst. Again, I don't really think the catalyst is in the same category as the jetstream so it's not exactly apples to apples.

I'd disagree. I love my Jetstream (I own 2, one for everyday use and one for hunting) but I actually would never wear them again if FL would add a WS to the catalyst.

I find the catalyst is better in every way I care about sans the wind barrier. So much so I've debated deconstructing a jetstream to take out the wind barrier and try to add it to the catalyst.

Sounds like it’s basically an early-mid season system for the Midwest, South, and Southeast. It depends on your regional weather. I hunt TX/OK so it seems like a good idea here. We can hunt 50 in the morning and be 80 by lunch. Or, vice versa with a front rolling through,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Living and hunting out of Wyoming, the climate here makes the wind blocker a must have for me. I could probably do a better comparison of the two but generally speaking the catalyst, although comfortable, is not functional for my uses so I'm dumping it from the kit. Honestly, I really wanted to love the catalyst but will likely end up throwing it up on the classifieds to see if there are any takers (FL Catalyst, size large, Cipher, $160). For the OP, if youre a strictly early season bow hunter then I'm sure you'll do more than fine with the catalyst but if your looking for more versatility and are concerned about wind then imo the catalyst is not the way to go.

I mean, I think we are agreeing. The catalyst is not usable on windy days.

I was merely pointing out that as far as quality/comfort/durability etc, the catalyst is at the very least on par with the jetstream, and in my opinion, more comfortable.

So really, they aren't very good jackets to compare until FL makes one with a wind barrier in it.

Had the catalyst, sold the catalyst. Not good for wind. Midwestern tree stand guy here so late season wind is an issue. I think wind is more important than what the temp is, I would rather sacrifice insulation/warmth of one specific piece for wind blocking capability and layer up.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk