Flying meat home

A few friends and I are planning a hunt which we'll be flying to Colorado, how does everyone suggest we transport meat and antlers back home if we kill? I Have relatives in this town that we are flying into that I know would be more than willing to help transport meat/antlers. Just curious what the easiest cheapest way would be, driving back really isn't an option as we are not yet old enough to rent a vehicle.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t assist with the transport of meat as I haven’t done it, but most rental agencies will rent to you as long as you’re over 18 (even under 25) there’s just an additional $20/$25 a day fee

OP
H
Good to know, did not know that. Would still like to avoid renting a vehicle if possible.

Zappaman

WKR
You can fly (deer) antlers back in your carry on- just have to be covered by a good bag and cleaned up- no brain matter, dangling hair- that scares TSA agents ;). You'll have to saw them off of course and spend the time cleaning them. I had a guy fly a MASSIVE rack from Kansas to NY last year- no problem. I'm sure he kept them in his lap or under his legs- just make sure you board on time to get a spot in the overhead. If you shoot THE state record... leave it with the relatives to have mounted. If elk, same plan... you can get them later.

Also freeze your tenders and back-strap the night before (at your relatives house- if you can), wrap them FROZEN in plastic, THEN paper bags and put that meat in your checked bags. If you have time to quarter and fully freeze more meat-- you can also put the quarters in your luggage too (and have your inlaws send you dirty clothes back to you regular UPS- no ice needed). Or... gift the rest to your relatives.

Edit: an NO dry ice-- they freak on that. Like Packin-pack out says below, if it's not oozing blood-- air transport (carried on or in luggage) is just fine. But if it's not well froze-- use TWO good bags per piece!!! And the paper bags work VERY well as insulation if there isn't a Home Depot around ;)

Last edited:
I freeze stuff as solid as I can, wrap it up in a trash bag and shove it a sleeping bag in a duffel bag. My kids have flown deer and javelina back that way repeatedly in carry on. We have done an entire elk that way as well for checked. As long as it is not leaking they don't seem to care. If you have multiple connecting flights hit Home Depot and grab mylar bubble wrap to wrap it up to help it stay insulated and cold.

Depending on the airport they're used to it, but they do tend to freak out sometimes. Flew through Denver a couple years ago with two antelope shoved in my roller board and the male agent call for a bag check & the female agent who opened it got a little excited. Places like Bozeman or Billings it's normal.

I have not had to mess with transporting horns yet so I don't know what the score is there. But meat on American and Southwest has never been an issue.

Aubs8

FNG
Flying elk meat back is nearly as much an adventure as the hunt itself, particularly if you are by yourself.

Delta charges checked bags (50lbs) of $30 for first bag, $40, $150 and $200 for each after that...I check 150 lbs of meat...I then have put about 35 lbs of frozen meat in a dry bag in back pack as carry-on and another 15 lbs in a smaller drybag I carry onto the plane. I also check in my rifle.

I have simply put wrapped, frozen meat in 40 liter dry bags from Walmart...They are the perfect size for 50 lbs...No issues and no leaking...Meat has stayed frozen from both Missoula and Denver to NY. Have been lucky enough to do this 5x.

It is a pain and even moreso if you are by yourself.

Last fall, my return trip was first class...comes out only slightly more expensive but allows first two checked bags at 70 lbs "free"...plus, you don't have to be one of those guys walking to the back of the plane with 70 lbs in your "carry on." :)

Check your baggage limits. My flights only allow up to 4 checked bags.

I measure tips of antlers before splitting them and sending them back with my clothes via UPS.

If you tag out late in your hunt, there is the challenge of getting it to the butcher in time to have it cut, wrapped and frozen for your return flight.

Lastly, I suggest you have a minimum of an hour layover for any connecting flight.

Take care. Mike

PMcGee

WKR
We fly meat home with us every year. We buy coolers weigh them to 100lbs and pay the extra fees. Get yourself a soft side cooler and take 40/50lbs on as your carry on. We’ve never had a problem with dry ice you can only have a certain amount in each cooler 5lbs I think. If you have a rack cover the skull cap with plastic and duct tape. Cover each point with pipe insulation and rap with duct tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rvalleyp

FNG
I have brought fish back from Alaska, process should be the same for elk. fill a Styrofoam cooler will frozen meat, put ice packs or dry ice on top of meat. check the cooler same as you would any other checked luggage.

Malcolm31

FNG
We hunted Coues deer in Arizona. Deboned and froze the meat in ziplocks. Bought a cheap and light cooler at the dollar general and checked it. Meat was still frozen when we landed in PA with one connecting flight.

OXN939

WKR
Buy cheap but sturdy-ish cooler for $20-30, check as a bag. If possible, it's best not to freeze your meat beforehand- any time I have done that, even with the allowed 5 pounds of dry ice included, it has been thawed by the time I got home. This means that by the time it's eaten, it will have frozen, thawed, frozen and thawed again, which is obviously not optimal. Plus, if it's just refrigerated when you get home, you can then take your time packing it nicely up. Just did this with a TX Nilgai last week

We do the cheap ($20) coolers. They hold right at #50 when full. We go back to the midwest for July 4 each year and typically bring at least 2 coolers with us. It's about 24 hours of total travel including our drive to the airport and a 2 hour drive to end it in the july heat. Fill the cooler full of frozen meat and check it as baggage. It costs like $40 a cooler. We have done dozens of coolers like this between us, our parent's hauling meat both ways, and several guests. No one has ever had an issue and everything arrives solid. If you can, fill the coolers with ice for several hours to kinda pre-chill the cooler before loading them up. But it's not necessary. No need for dry ice, it's worthless. And I don't understand ice packs when they're the same temp as meat? If you have void space just pack it with newspaper.

Meat needs to be frozen when you're checking it as luggage. I've now seen at 3 different airports (Yakutat, Anchorage, Nome) where they went through every package of meat in a cooler to see if it was frozen. The ones that were not frozen were handed back to the passenger to basically throw it in the trash or give it away.

PMcGee

WKR
We do the cheap ($20) coolers. They hold right at #50 when full. We go back to the midwest for July 4 each year and typically bring at least 2 coolers with us. It's about 24 hours of total travel including our drive to the airport and a 2 hour drive to end it in the july heat. Fill the cooler full of frozen meat and check it as baggage. It costs like $40 a cooler. We have done dozens of coolers like this between us, our parent's hauling meat both ways, and several guests. No one has ever had an issue and everything arrives solid. If you can, fill the coolers with ice for several hours to kinda pre-chill the cooler before loading them up. But it's not necessary. No need for dry ice, it's worthless. And I don't understand ice packs when they're the same temp as meat? If you have void space just pack it with newspaper.

Meat needs to be frozen when you're checking it as luggage. I've now seen at 3 different airports (Yakutat, Anchorage, Nome) where they went through every package of meat in a cooler to see if it was frozen. The ones that were not frozen were handed back to the passenger to basically throw it in the trash or give it away.

I’ve flown several times with meat that wasn’t frozen and nothing was ever said. I think it all depends on the person checking the luggage. I don’t see anywhere it says meat has to be frozen.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I use the hard side coolers, 45+ qt. Place 40-45lbs frozen meat (cooler weight counts too), seal with duct tape, declare at check-in counter and they will mark cooler with tape labeled "Frozen Food". Alaska Air has done this for years that I've flown game meat back.

Just plan to ship antlers home via UPS-FedEx. Package well, lots cushion in box so no movement, wrap/tape foam pipe tube or pool noodles on antler sections, overlapping antler tips.

as mentioned, clothes and other small gear can be shipped home too.

Here is the DRY ICE regs from the FAA. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=11

Note, “Pending AIRLINE APPROVAL”. So even if the FAA says it’s okay per their rules, the airlines can override that. I haven’t found an airline yet that allowed it causing me to unpack and repack stuff the gate.

Just freeze it, pack it, bring lots of credit cards and grab your ankles.

PMcGee

WKR
Here is the DRY ICE regs from the FAA. https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=11

Note, “Pending AIRLINE APPROVAL”. So even if the FAA says it’s okay per their rules, the airlines can override that. I haven’t found an airline yet that allowed it causing me to unpack and repack stuff the gate.

Just freeze it, pack it, bring lots of credit cards and grab your ankles.

Southwest has never given us a problem so we just keep flying with them.

Tsa has inspected but never balked with any meat I have flown checked. Southwest is my go to for flights or American but I got status which gets me two free bags. Can definitely see alaska being handled differently because they probably have seen enough flight delay rodeos.

Zappaman

WKR
Had to pull dry ice at Albuquerque airport once- PITA. Rules may have changed-- check. The TSA doesn't know their own reg's sometimes. I've handed them printed (and highlighted) docs on a few occasions (for other items). I use our old luggage Vs. coolers with FROZEN meat wrapped in plastic bags AND paper bags (they are very good insulation)- works great (wheels on the meat).