Flying with a firearm

TylerS105

FNG
Hey guys, I am planning a trip to Alaska for fly fishing and camping. I will be flying out of Minneapolis, MN with Sun Country Airlines and was wondering if anyone could inform me of how it works to fly with a firearm. What I'm looking for is lock specifications on your case, how everything should be packed, where it needs to be packed, and where do I check it in at? Would be flying with a handgun just for protection against bears, atleast it will be a little peace of mind while I am there. Thanks in advance!

Flying with guns ain't hard. Every airline is a little different, but the gist of it goes like this:

The first thing to do is tell the check in person you'd "Like to declare an unloaded firearm." They say, "OK."

Next, they'll grab an orange card and write the flight info on it. They'll hand it to you to sign and insert it into your locked case. When done signing the card, ask if they'd like you to open the case. They will say, "Yes."

A pistol only needs to be in a tiny, lockable case. This can then be inserted into a traditional checked bag. Long guns need to have two locks, but I don't think you need that for pistols.

Once you drop the card in the case and lock it up, seal up the luggage and hand it over. At this point you're likely done—unless security wants to get into your case, which they sometimes do.

The best bet is to tell the check-in person that you'll hang around until the bag clears security. In 5 to 10 minutes, you need to pester them again and ask if you're good to go through security checkpoint. They'll quickly check and say, "Yep, all good. Thank you."

I use the below SnapSafe case for pistol travel. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

1711206941708.png

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Always check with the airlines you are flying, other wise it's not really an issue. Just be sure to go to ticket counter and declare the weapons, they will give you a claim form which you will put in hard sided locking case. TSA may check it again before it go though x-ray. That's how it was the last time I fly some years ago. Back then, the weapons were delivered to separate baggage area.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Every airline and airport is different, so just check and declare the firearm when you get there. I always put handguns in a pelican case with two locks on it. Don't use cable locks either, had a friend make that mistake at SeaTac. They were able to unlatch and open the case slightly due to the slack in the cables.

I always check pistol ammunition in a hard case inside my checked bag and not with the pistol. Rifles I store ammunition in the case. I also always have a slide back and a chamber flag inside the slide, and mag out. I bought extra foam inserts and have one specifically cut out for each handgun/mag i fly with so the fit is tight. Every airline has a very clear explanation on what they expect from you with firearms on their website. Use caution if you're switching airlines though. Some may very. I always fly alaska and it's been a breeze every time.

OP
TylerS105

TylerS105

FNG

Every airline and airport is different, so just check and declare the firearm when you get there. I always put handguns in a pelican case with two locks on it. Don't use cable locks either, had a friend make that mistake at SeaTac. They were able to unlatch and open the case slightly due to the slack in the cables.

I always check pistol ammunition in a hard case inside my checked bag and not with the pistol. Rifles I store ammunition in the case. I also always have a slide back and a chamber flag inside the slide, and mag out. I bought extra foam inserts and have one specifically cut out for each handgun/mag i fly with so the fit is tight. Every airline has a very clear explanation on what they expect from you with firearms on their website. Use caution if you're switching airlines though. Some may very. I always fly alaska and it's been a breeze every time.
Are there rules declaring that you have to have TSA approved locks?

MattB

WKR
This has been covered a bunch, the search function will provide many more responses.

MattB

WKR
Are there rules declaring that you have to have TSA approved locks?
No, “TSA-recognized” locks can be used but are not required. My local airport’s TSA screening is behind closed doors, so using TSA-recognized locks saves me from having to wait in the check-in area for an additional 20 minutes after they check my case in the event they need my keys to inspect the contents.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
They have ALWAYS wanted access to my case after checking in and opened it in front of me in another room after asking for the key.
Not a big deal, just allow for extra time.
I put the ammo in the same case with the gun.
I've always used Master locks. Carry a couple spares.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
They have ALWAYS wanted access to my case after checking in and opened it in front of me in another room after asking for the key.
Not a big deal, just allow for extra time.
I put the ammo in the same case with the gun.
I've always used Master locks. Carry a couple spares.
Strange, they would not allow ammo is same case as weapon. Might have been the airlines I used.

def90

WKR
Locked case with non TSA locks. Ammo has to be in a box made for holding ammo and in a checked bag. Walk up to the check in counter and tell them you have a firearm that you need to check. They will take it from there. Give yourself some extra time for check in, don’t show up 30 minutes before your flight leaves.

Scottyboy

WKR
When flying delta out of terminal 1, they want ammo in the checked bag seperate from the locked firearm. All in all a rather simple process and in some cases you get “expedited” to the front of the line to get that scary case out of peoples view. Sign a tsa form or 2 and meet your firearm at the oversized baggage claim at your destination

I just flew to texas

We had 2 rifles in one case. Everything went like described by the guys above.

I think we had TSA locks. Checked in at front counter where you check other luggage.

The two airports I was at going down there and coming home they asked if all ammo was in its original packing.

The ammo was in the cardboard boxes it came in, and that was in the case with the two rifles.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
There is usually no limit to the number of firearms you can check in as long as you stay under the weight limit. The weight limit is usually 50 pounds. Standard rule is each has to be inside a locked case.

My daughter, who shoots competitively, and I have flown many times with rifles and each time can be slightly different depending on the ticket agent. At first we didn't use TSA approved locks and it almost cost us to miss a flight. Once you check your luggage in, the firearms are taken to a separate TSA area to be inspected. Once we got to that TSA area we were told we were good to go so off we went. Come to find out TSA wanted inside the locked case, we weren't around, and they had to track us down. This took quite some time and we ended up barely making our flight. After that I bought TSA locks and have never had another issue. It is of my "opinion" that if somebody behind the scenes at an airport wants into my rifle case for whatever reason, a non-TSA lock isn't going to stop them from getting into the case. On top of that, I'm not sure what they would be able to do with my rifles behind the scenes anyways. If they have a way to steal them, the locks aren't going to stop that. Anyways, here's another tip. If your case has room for 2 locks put 2 locks on it. If it has room for 4 locks put 4 locks on it. We were at 1 airport and her rifle case only had 3 locks on it and holes for 4. The ticket agent wouldn't let it be checked because it didn't have all the locks. Stupid I know. Luckily we had spare locks in another bag. Finally, as was said before, don't use the cable style locks. In another situation we had an agent open the locked case up, the lid lifted up about 3/4 of an inch, and the agent wouldn't accept it because they could get their fingers inside. I personally think some of them are just looking for ways to keep you from checking firearms so we now try to not give them any excuses. These are just some examples of what we have encountered. Most of the ticket agents are great but you never know and can always run into bad ones.