FNG from California

Hello from California Bay Area! Started getting interested in hunting a few years ago and started doing it. Not a lot of experience but I do like walking the refuges shooting birds.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Despite what you’ll read. The Northern California sierras and foothills are some of the best backpacking and hunting in the country. I trekked through that country from the early 90s all the way until I moved in 2021. If you need any advice feel free to message me.

The bay is unique in that you have excellent coastal black tail country and high sierras mule deer/hybrid hunting all within just a couple hours drive. As a resident you are guaranteed to get an A or B zone tag for black tails and then over the counter zones for mulies. I used to kill a black tail and mule deer or hybrid just about every season. Good memories.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
H
Despite what you’ll read. The Northern California sierras and foothills are some of the best backpacking and hunting in the country. I trekked through that country from the early 90s all the way until I moved in 2021. If you need any advice feel free to message me.

The bay is unique in that you have excellent coastal black tail country and high sierras mule deer/hybrid hunting all within just a couple hours drive. As a resident you are guaranteed to get an A or B zone tag for black tails and then over the counter zones for mulies. I used to kill a black tail and mule deer or hybrid just about every season. Good memories.
I'll take you up on that as soon as I can send PMs! I'm not sure I'll have time to backpack hunt but I definitely want to take a weekend or two to get after deer this year.

OP
H
Toughest part of living in the bay area is finding a range to sight your hunting rifle in at.
There's a publicly available 200 yard range but that's the only one I know of haha. Everything else is private and costs an arm and a leg.

I'm also from the bay area. South bay Santa Clara. I actually completed the hunting ed a few years ago but have 0 real life experience. But I really wish I could get into hunting. If someone is in the position of providing mentorship, please contact me!

zpearo

FNG
What type of hunting are you doing or interested in starting? I've hunted my whole life, but not done any yet in California, and am planning to get started out here. Let me know if you want to meet up for some target practice, scouting, or hunts.

OP
H
I'm in for some practice, scouting, and hunting as well. I'm new to deer and going after it this year.

zpearo

FNG
Cool, I'll send you a message to link up once my account is old enough to do that

zpearo

FNG
I got your PM but can't reply to it until my 10 days are up. So we can chat more then.

I'm not actually planning to deer hunt in CA this year since my freezers are quite full and I already have WY elk and several IL whitetail tags, and it's time for some fish too. So was just thinking I might scout deer this fall as prep for next year and to help get in shape for elk season. Happy to link up for scouting if you plan to do any.

Also planning to do turkey in the spring and have some interest in getting into ducks.