FNG from Hoosier town

BigMick93

FNG
Howdy all,

Finally joined my first hunting forum. I'm 30yrs old from Indiana, and it's time to get serious about my dream of hunting out west. Thank you for having me on Rokslide.

Let's get down to business, I've never been out west, but have been hunting whitetail here for 10yrs. What's the best avenue for getting started to prepare for my first western hunt? I've been rucking with my tenzing 6000, for the last 3 days with 50lbs through the muddy cornfields. A new pack is right in view with tax returns coming! Where's a good place to study elk nature as when they use terrain and such during each season?

Sorry for the novel, but life's too short and I've been putting off my dream for too long.
Thank you,

Austin

Matt5266

WKR
Welcome. There is literally sooo much info on the web about elk hunting and how to study and pick areas to hunt them.

I live in Idaho, your best chance at success is getting in as good of shape physically and mentally that you can. Hunting has really been poor the last few years in my area. Just have to keep grinding

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I'm from Kentucky and I'm just a few years ahead of you. I've been on three western hunts now. My advice: go ahead and apply for your dream hunt but don't wait for it. Find a hunt you can do now. It might be a state or species that isn't your first choice, but just do it so you can get out there. You will gain experience, builds points, and have a great time exploring new country