FNG from northern Nevada

Greetings! Adult onset hunter from Reno, Nevada here. This forum and others have been a great resource, many thanks to all that contribute. I'm planning on my first bear hunt this spring in Idaho and the associated thread on here has been particularly valuable so I thought I would say hello and extend my gratitude. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute at some point. Happy hunting!

OP
E
Welcome, also from Reno. I'm also going to Idaho for spring bear. PM me if you have questions.
Awesome, thanks! I cant PM yet, but I will as soon as I'm able. I'm super excited, planning on heading out at the end of the month.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes, quite the friendly bunch in these parts.

OP
E
Snow is melting up here now that it isn't freezing at night.
Nice, good to know thank you. I was browsing the snowtel site earlier and I got the impression that it wasn't too deep anywhere but I don't really know how well that data correlates to general field conditions. My hunting window is pretty fixed regardless so I'll just have to play some elevation games I suppose.

OP
E
Hitting the road on the 24th of this month and have to be home on May 1st. I've been escouting the reduced price areas east of you and am tentatively planning on starting there (units 33-35). Any guesses on elevation bands I should be focusing to start?

Welcome from Northern California!

What kind optics set up are you bringing? I've been looking at expanding from my 10x42s, mostly bird/small game hunted until now.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, I’m also in Reno. Good luck out there and in the upcoming NV draw.

OP
E
Welcome from Northern California!

What kind optics set up are you bringing? I've been looking at expanding from my 10x42s, mostly bird/small game hunted until now.

Welcome, I’m also in Reno. Good luck out there and in the upcoming NV draw.

Many thanks, good luck to you guys too!

I got back yesterday, hunted hard, saw no bears (hundreds of elk and mating grouse though). There's many terrain types and strategies that I saw people working in the few areas I went so I can't really give any suggestions (no success stories either). I backpacked to the highest ridges in the range to glass and roamed around so I took a tripod (that doubles as a shooting platform for me), 12x50 binos, and a mini razor 13-39x spotter. I was happy with my choices but if you're not prepared to make a play on a bear very far away and separated by complex terrain you could forego the spotter. For example, my last day I hiked to a high ridgeline and never even pulled the spotter out and just used the binos on the tripod as anything further would be out of play. I also had a 20-60x spotter in the car for road glassing that I never used.

10x42s could be fine in smaller terrain or larger terrain on a tripod too. Previous years for elk and deer I was using tripod + 10x42 RF binos + 11-33x razor + 20-60x for road glassing, I just made some small magnification and quality upgrades for this season.