FNG from the mid-Atlantic

c.brown

FNG
Just recently jumped on the site here and learning a bunch already. Hunted whitetail on the east coast my whole life but I've got a solid itch for western backpack hunting. No idea where to start but rokslide looks like a great resource. Buddy and I plan to try our hand at elk or muleys next year and trying to get a plan together. I'll be asking for some info as soon as I can get it all in one sock. Thanks ahead of time to everyone that can help us avoid as many greenhorn mistakes a possible. - Clint

Hall256

WKR
Clint, from a fellow FNG I will say welcome to the forum. While I am stationed on the East coast this website helps me stay connected with western style hunting, some of the new gear (or gear we just dont see out here), and keeps my hopes alive that one day I will be stationed back out west again and can pick up where i left off (at least i will have a lot of preference points built up). If you have not already seen the podcast Gritty Bowman, it is also a great resource. Have you tried any local backpack hunts? The public lands out here are smaller, but Virginia has some good WMAs that allow you to get out of the treestand and backpack in for a few days.

Shaun

OP
C

c.brown

FNG
Thanks for the replies.

Shaun, assuming your in the military since you're stationed out here, same here. I haven't tried any backpack hunts out here but that's a great idea. Honestly I didn't think there was anything out here big enough to really get away from a road. I'm in Maryland and have hunted Pax River Research Refuge and some military property but none of it is big enough to backpack and all too strict on open/closed times to really consider it anyway (no overnights). Thanks for the tip on Virginia. I have to look into that. Once I get my kit together I've gotta try it out somewhere.

Thanks again. Now I have to find a good budget pack, I can't afford the Kifarus everyone on here seems to love.
Clint

Check out Greenridge in Western Maryland, Western Greenridge State Forest

I am planning a backcountry elk trip to Colorado in 2018 I might do the Maryland section of the Appalachain trail to "shake out" my gear, just an idea on what works and 41 miles should tell me something about boots and packs and other gear. Just a thought. Pax River Naval Air has some BIG BUCKS on it !

Hall256

WKR
Clint, yeah I am with the Marines down by Virginia Beach. If you look towards the western edge of the state in the George Washington & Jefferson National Forrest then you can find some decent tracks of land. Also, most of the WMA (wildlife management areas) have roadless areas. These areas do not even come close to the Wildlife Areas in places like Colorado (the West Elk Wilderness area in Colorado that I am planning to hunt is something like 175,000 acres, where as the WMA i hunt in Virginia is only 14,000) but they can still support a good backpack hunt that lets you test out gear.

Oh, and if you are interested in a fairly inexpensive pack, in the Classified section of this site i have a Horn Hunter Mainbeam XL pack for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

OP
C

c.brown

FNG
Thanks for the local info guys. I'll have to check those out beyond the google maps stalking I did last night. Looking forward to learning as much as I can from here and hopefully getting that to pay off on a hunt.
Shaun, I saw your pack on the classifieds but think I've decided to try and build my own pack with some stuff I have already and a good frame. I'll be posting for info on that once I'm done with this.
SK38, the Appilacian trail is also a great idea, should be a solid test of gear close by. Thanks for the info on Greenridge, place looks pretty sweet. I've heard Pax is tough to get involved with and there are a couple places up here closer to DC where I am that have pretty good hunting. Unfortunately EVERYTHING is really crowded.
Thanks again for the welcomes

You can always check out quehanna wildlife area and moshannon state forest in central pa. Plenty of room to chase whitetails, camp, and test gear. Also can check out wild elk (or fairly tame ones around bennezette)