FNG from Vegas

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, New to the forum and new to hunting big game. Hunted/Trapped coyotes, fox, and bobcats but nothing much bigger. Building out everything now and hoping to start putting in for tags next year. Deer and elk are what i hope to start for! Hope to learn alot and one day be able to give back one.

For my rifle i just picked up a tikka t3x lite in 6.5CM topped with a bushnell forge 4.5-27 and im getting a load developed for the 143 eld-X round.

Looking at eberlestock for packs with a frame to be able to pack all the gear in and one day my game out. Would like some suggestions on the pack size from some of the seasoned hunters out there.

glass will probably be vortex binos and mount on my existing manfrotto tripod that will double as a shooting tripod if needed.

still buying all my layers ill need, dont think i need much in nevada but im hoping to also hunt wyoming in a few years where im guessing ill need an extra layer or two from my 40's - 50's lol.

any tips your willing to share im willing to listen. At this point it sounds like im going to also be buying an ultralite tent or a bivy bag and do longer hike in hunts to get away from the roads. ON-X will be purchased and google earth will be scoured!

Thanks for everyones input on the forum and look forward to scoring my first deer/elk

If you really want to elk hunt my advice is to look into out of state tags while you build points in nevada. It's probably going to take a while to draw a tag.

If you really want to elk hunt my advice is to look into out of state tags while you build points in nevada. It's probably going to take a while to draw a tag.

yup been told that by a few locals. Im talking to a buddy about wyoming possibly for an antlerless tag next year in the bighorns. Ill put in for points next year for elk and antelope.

Welcome

For NV I’d aim for antelope or cow elk as your first rifle score.

What are good areas for antelope? I havent looked into the chance of actually scoring a tag. I did see one on my way up to eagle valley on the side of the road. Pulled over and got some pics, it stood around 40 yards away. any closer it would walk away lol.

Back