Food!! What are you taking on your trips.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty much the same as everyone else... If the weather is forecasting warmer temps, I will make up soem cereal bags with shredded wheat or some other cereal and powdered milk for breakfast instead of oatmeal - makes for a nice quick breakfast - no heating water needed.

I like the Tuna Pouches, i alternate PBJ one day and Tuna/Chicken on a bagel or sandwich thin the next

Dinners are Mountain House.

I got sick of nuts, granola bars, and cliff bars last year - woudl liek some more ideas for snacks and energy boosters to munch on through the day.

slim9300

WKR
My daily menu for my yearly 10 day elk hunt...

Breakfast: 2 packets of raisins and spice instant oatmeal

Lunch: 1 packet of peanut butter crackers, 2 fruit leathers, and 1 crunchy peanut butter, Nutilla and bacon, cinnamon raisin bagel or onion bagel. I'm thinking about bringing 2-3 plain onion bagels with a tuna packet for each one to mix it up a little more next year.

Snack: "custom" trail mix with coconut M&M's, salted almonds, salted cashews, raisins and Craisins.

Dinner: Mountain House

Desert (rationed for 10 days): 2 Backpacker Pantry deserts (dark chocolate cheesecake and mocha mousse), 1 small bag of Sour Patch Kids and 1 pack of Shocktarts.

"Special" snack (rationed for 10 days): 1 bag of Ritz Toasted Chips in Sour Cream and Onion (8.1 ounce bag that equates to 1,040 calories) If they didn't take up so much room I would eat them everyday for dinner instead of Mountain House.

Last edited:
Tuna packets man... just had one, amazing. I'll try the salmon packets as well. They are 80 calories for 2.5 ozs, not the best oz to calorie ratio but its amazing protein source and great for you

About half of the items in MREs are not half bad. The vanilla protein drinks are really good as well as the desserts. I don't take them though. Too heavy and like Aron said they are made to last for 10 years in the sun. There are some really good ideas in the cooking section as well.

swat8888

WKR
The MRE main meals really don't have that many calories either. Most of the calories reside in the cheese/peanut butter, crackers, bread & snacks. If you can get your hands on the winter MRE's (white bags vs. brown) they have freeze dried meals that are pretty good, comparable to mountain house anyway.

swat8888

WKR
Rationing a small bag of sour patch kids for 10 days....holy crap, that's discipline. I love those things.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Breakfast - Either dried cereal with dark chocolate chips or granola/bb/protein/dried milk mixture.
Morning Snack - Protein Bar, Energy Bar, Protein Mix, Home made trail mix, jerky
Lunch - PB/Bacon/Honey Tortilla, Idahoan potatoes
Afternoon Snack - Some of the same as morning snack and/or PB crackers, candy bar
Supper - MH, Idahoan potatoes, some sort of chocolate for a dessert.

I don't eat everything listed on the snacks, they are just the things I have packed in different days foods.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I currently have food organized for 4 different trips Luke and I are taking in the next two weeks. Below is food for two of us for 3 nights/4 days (or one person for 6 nights I guess)

7aab2fb4.jpg

Breakfast is two packets of oatmeal each (flavors vary), with a packet of Costco Fruit and Nuts mix. We each get a Starbucks Via with creamer packet.

We don't eat organized meals in the daytime, so I just pack an assortment of snacks. For this trip I allotted four snacks each day per person, including snickers, Lara bars, trio nut bars and cliff bars. We also each have two Gu energy gels per day. I brought a few packets of instant potatoes for snacks on cold afternoons, or to eat as a meal with trout if we catch them.

Dinner is Mt House, two serving meal per person.

Have tried a variety of other snacks/meals, including cheese or peanut butter and pilot bread, tuna/salmon/chicken packets in tortillas. All are good, but most are heavy and thus reserved for short trips where a little extra weight isnt a big deal. We are also going to try something new for breakfasts on one of our upcoming trips: precooked bacon mixed into packets of cheese grits.

Rizzy

WKR
I got sick of nuts, granola bars, and cliff bars last year - woudl liek some more ideas for snacks and energy boosters to munch on through the day.

Corn nuts have a lot of calories for the size and weight. 1 small package is 180 calories and tasty.

Becca,

I do something similar. One of my long time favorites for camping breakfast is to take a packet of instant oatmeal (whatever flavor you like) and add a box of raisins or other dried fruit and some Hormel picnic bacon bits (or the precooked bacon you mentioned) to it. I guess you could also use other kinds of low moisture meats like dry sausage cut up into bits.

You get a sweet and savory thing going with it and you also get some more protein in the morning to go with your initial carb load from the oatmeal (or grits) and the dried fruit.

Larry

Another thing to keep in mind if you get bored of energy bars is to use Snickers or Payday bars instead. You get a mix of fats, carbs, and sweets (Payday also gives you salt) but it tastes better than a Powerbar/Lara Bar/ etc.

Adding peanut butter (or other nut butters) to some form of carb is another way to get some variety in taste as well as mixing in some more fat and protein is also good. Making cookies that you like at home and adding the peanut butter that comes in the little containers, or just putting some in a ziplock from home is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying bars, tastes better (at least to me), and lets you tailor what you want and don't want in your snacks. My son brought home some chocolate chip cookies from an event he worked and we added some chunky peanut butter to them as an "icing" and they were really good.

ken

FNG
I've not tried them all but there are a few that I really like...esp. the breakfast grits.

Much better than MH IMHO.

6t4nova

WKR
Thats good to hear. I think I will order some and try them out. I was just looking at what they have to offer and there is a great variety.

ken

FNG
Good luck.

If you find something to suit your taste buds, I'm sure you'll be impressed. I tried the SW Lasagna and didn't care for it, but found the Beef Stew to be awesome. The Breakfast Casserole was decent, needed a tick more salt for my taste. I've got some Sweet Italian Sausage and Pasta to try. Next I'm going to give a couple of the Shrimp and Chicken offerings a go.

Eventually I'd like to make some of my own meals...but for now HV's are working out pretty good.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Velveeta and Hostess fruit pies. Only.
velveeta02.jpg

2911615005_e1417c438b.jpg

Just kidding.

-For breakfast I like Instant oatmeal with added powdered milk and protein powder and VIA.
-I don't usually pack a lunch and just snack on either gorp, Clif bars or protein bars. When I need a quick boost I will eat a Clif shot block.
-For Dinner I will eat 2 servings of a dehydrated meal (I'm not terribly picky about the brand, bot those Hawk Vittles do look good) with Tobasco. I don't worry about the sodium content because I sweat a LOT during the day, and my body needs the salt.

I will also sometimes carry the single serving Gatorade G2 or Crystal Light hydration or energy packets for a break from water.

Last edited:
Those little flavor packets for water are why I have taken to carrying both a lightweight plastic water bottle and a water reservoir. I use the reservoir for a days worth of water storage and drink from the water bottle. That way I can put flavoring in the water and not have to worry about messing up the reservoir.

I love the sqwincher 1L packet mixers. I used nuun energy tabs last year but they are rather heavy.

For lunch I will definitely have the PB Bacon Honey tortillas, along with clif bars, trail mix, energy shots, honey stinger bars, tuna and salmon packets along with other assorted snacks. Dinner is my home brewed stuff. You can make stuff just like hawkes vittles no problem. I just save leftovers and dehydrate, good to go for dinners! Still working out breakfast, whether I want FBC cooked breakfasts or just a met rx bar, still debating.