For Spot & Stalk Compound Bow Hunters Only

I always wanted the open sight picture of a single pin and the "ready at a moments notice" of the fixed multi pins. When Dan Evans created the Option sight, I took the plunge.
Three years later, I am still using them and could not be happier. Best of both worlds and built to last.

Archery Sights - Fixed and Moveable Pin - Option Archery
I second this. Personally using an Option 6 with an 8 pin housing so the floating pin bottoms out at 110 yards for practicing at the range. Hunting I keep the floating pin covering my 40 yard pin so it looks like a 5 pin sight picture. It's a great sight with tons of adjustments you can make to it.

I second this. Personally using an Option 6 with an 8 pin housing so the floating pin bottoms out at 110 yards for practicing at the range. Hunting I keep the floating pin covering my 40 yard pin so it looks like a 5 pin sight picture. It's a great sight with tons of adjustments you can make to it.

Are you guys using the Archer's Advantage Sight Tapes or are there other options out there (No pun intended). The Option sights look really nice.

Boreal

WKR
CBE Tech Hybrid, 3 pin. Set 20, 30, 50 with the bottom pin as the floater. On a Hoyt Carbon Defiant 70#, the arrow flight is flat enough that it's easy to gap shoot 40 yards, and hold over slightly for 60. Lets me shoot 10-60 yards without having to move the slider and the sight picture is nice and clear. I tried more pins, but the colors just bleed together and my old brain can't count from 1-5 that fast. Especially with a monster bull in the sight, or at least I assume that it will be harder when that happens.

Axcel Armotech Pro 7 pin. .010 pins. 10 yard gaps. bottom pin is 78 yards versus 80 as I am at the bottom of the housing.

I had a 7 pin SH, went back to 5 pins. I do 25,40,50,60,70.....and can gap a little bit longer if I have to do a followup shot on a wounded animal at longer range.

I just didn't use the longer pins on the 7 much.....especially hunting. It was overkill for me and it got a little confusing in that mid range pin selection. The 5 pin is faster for me, YMMV.
I've heard this ^^^ Many times and I too, use 5 Pins, starting at,.. 30 Yards, 40, 50, 60, 70 yards,.."works" !

Crusty

FNG
I use a 5 pin sight.
My pins are set in metres - being an Australian.

20,30,40,48 - and I don't know cause I don't use it.
The 48 is because I use the bow in the ABA field archery comps and the max range is 48 (or its supposed to be - some of the local range captains are a little fuzzy with there measuring).
My self imposed max hunting range is 40m.

Haven't looked through a 7 pin but it sounds busy, which would make it easy stuff it up. There are some different competitions with longer ranges out to 70m in different formats. For these a 7 pin might be useful. I would go a single adjustable if I wanted to shoot these though.

The single pin adjustable - I like the idea of a single pin - but I can see me stuffing it up in the heat of the moment and forgetting that I'd adjusted the range for a shot that I turned down a few minutes ago.

My 2c for what its worth.

Crusty

I have a 5 pin slider. My 1st pin is 30 then 40,50,60,70. After that I can usually have time and concealment to adjust out to 100, which is my max. I used to get 5 pin sliders and remove 1 pin to eliminate clutter in the sight housing. But I want to engage using pins further than 60. Most of my S/S shots are 70 or less, and I am used to the clutter of the 5 pins.

gethuntin

WKR
I tried a single pin on my backup bow and had it in the truck for two years until I decided to switch it up and just see if it would work for spot and stalk and put my fears to rest. Well first time out I had the time to range and adjust draw and didn't get the shot at that distance and had to guess and missed. Before that I had a 5 pin then a 5 pin slider with the bottom as a float pin. This last fall I decided to really switch it up and try something completely different. I wen to a 3 pin slider but adjusted my top pin to the middle of the pin guard to kinda act like a single pin. I also used the top pin as my floater. YES I gave up range on my slider doing this but a I typically start my pins under the animal and work them up into the vitals. Over the years this hasn't worked real well fighting buck fever/target panic as I would slide all these pins over the vitals on a longer shot. This way all I have to worry about is centering the top pin and placing it in the vitals. As well as having the bottom two pins as just in case pins if the animal drifts farther out. Each pin is additional 10 yards. Worked well last year for me.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used them all and still prefer a five pin slider set at 20, 30, 40, 50 & 60 with the bottom being a floater out to 120.

I tried the one pin game and missed one of my biggest bucks by not having time to move my floater and guesstimated wrong. That was the last time using a single pin for hunting but I do like to use one for 3D season.

JLH208

WKR
5 pin black gold verdict, considering a 3 pin for simplicity but wouldn’t go single. 20-60 bottom floats to 100, tape is what came with sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockchuck

WKR
Single pin slider for me set for trick pin. Have had 5 pin slider and a few 5 and 6 fixed pin set ups. Really been digging this current setup.

elkyinzer

WKR
7 pins: <25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85. I am a one bow guy, that's my setup for everything from Western spot and stalk to close quarters treestand deer.

Basically never use the bottom 3 hunting, they are outside my effective range except on a wounded animal. But they don't get in my way or bother me and I practice with them. I periodically entertain the thought of going to a slider but always talk myself out of it pretty quickly, not something I want to fiddle with in the heat of the moment.