Free Badlands Sleeping bag from Black Ovis

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, just got this sweet deal from Black Ovis. Check it out:

attachment.php

Details: For a limited time buy the new Badlands Mirage tent only from BlackOvis.com and get a FREE Badlands Cinder Sleeping Bag. Badlands just
rolled their Ascent Camping Series out last week and BlackOvis.com is the only place to get this awesome deal.

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
I called on Tuesday and was told they would get back to me later. Still waiting for a return call.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys! Tyson here from BlackOvis, I just got a bag and tent delivered from Badlands.

So for the Synthetic bag (Cinder) I have a 35 deg (35 deg +) and the packed weight with the plastic still on it came in at 2.9 lbs on our shipping scale. In the down bag (Caldera) I have the 10 deg (35-10 deg +) and it came in at 3.3 lbs on our scale.

What else do you guys want to know?!

Thanks again!

JDZ

WKR
Badlands lists the tent at 4lb-11oz. Seems a tad on the heavy side, but note the dimensions are quite large for a 2-man tent. If the interior height even comes close to the 46 inches they list as the height, that is pretty good. It would be nice to know what material they are using. Denier specs. Whose poles. Whose stakes.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys! Tyson here from BlackOvis, I just got a bag and tent delivered from Badlands.

So for the Synthetic bag (Cinder) I have a 35 deg (35 deg +) and the packed weight with the plastic still on it came in at 2.9 lbs on our shipping scale. In the down bag (Caldera) I have the 10 deg (35-10 deg +) and it came in at 3.3 lbs on our scale.

What else do you guys want to know?!

Thanks again!
What does the -10 Cinder sleeping bag weigh?

Thanks!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just received the tent and the -10 Cinder. My bag w/ the plastic sleeve removed weighed 5.5lbs! I plan to use it for base camping so not to worried about the weight. Got the tent to use camping with the kiddos.

Here are some specs from the tent tag:
Hypalan reinforced seams and stress points.
T-6061 Aluma-light Poles
States the fabric is a 3,000mm ultralight, strong, and waterproof material. Technology called DURA-DRY

I meant to weigh the tent before I set it up, but the kids are playing in it now so I will weigh after they are done. The floor material seems durable and the tent seems to be well built. Seams are stitched tight and solid. Pretty neat the footprint comes with and the stakes look like lighter versions of the MSR Groundhog stakes. The venting system in the peak is unique to me. Curious as to how that might work in windy rainy condition. ??

As for the Cinder; zipper appears to be high quality with smooth movement. Bag is SLIM, real slim. Big guys will NOT like this bag. I think it will work ok for the few nights I spend in base camp and my wife will probably love it when we go camping. Be real curious to see just how warm it is being a -10 bag.

For the price the build quality and materials used seems legit. I'll update again once I have had a chance to actually gauge performance.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weighed my tent tonight on 2 different scales... with footprint and in the factory stuff sack it weighs 5lbs 15.8ozs...

The tag on the tent and Badland's website states this tent is 4lbs 11ozs. I reached out to Baldands. I assumed that meant the entire kit that came with. Regardless its pretty darn cool they throw the footprint in with the tent. Breaking out the weight of the items will be helpful. I reached out to Badland trying to understand the weight. Below is their response.

"Understood Matt, we need to do a better job of displaying the weight, thank you for bringing it to our attention. Our thought process of not including the footprint was flawed in hindsight. We were thinking that since most tents don't come with footprint and a lot of people don't use one period unless in snow or horrible weather we wouldn't include in final weight. In all reality the basic structure is close to 3 lbs which we felt was a good lightweight offering for a 3 season tent. We hope it works out for you as you put it to use! .. Thanks for understanding!"

Its a solid tent, material seems pretty tough, so easy to see how the weight can creep up. While I won't use for my original intent it will still get used when weight does not matter.

Last edited: