Freighter pack as day pack?

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I will be going elk hunting in 2023 for the 1st time with a buddy from church. He is turning 70 and does not like to sleep away from the truck.

With that being said, I will be caring a bulk of the weight and do not need much of a bag for the day hunting we will be doing. Wondering what people are running to carry meat loads if a bag is not needed. I was looking at the EXO and seekoutside frames with a webbing or panel system to carry during the day. Wanting something simple (leaning towards EXO over the seekoutside system) so that should I enjoy it and want to go out longer, I can add a bag later.

Or am I missing a huge opportunity somewhere and I should have a full bag system and a simple freighter system separately?

Looking for simple, light and quiet for 2023. The ability to add a bag later would be a bonus but not required.

Thank for your insight and advice.

Well most of the cheaper frames have really poor shoulder straps etc there just uncomfortable, not padded well etc thats why there cheap.
I have a higher end frame that came with a bag but it doesn't have much for tie off points if I took the pins out that attached the bag. And they rattle like crazy. Plus there stiff and bulky and you are going to need some sort of dry bag or something to lash on so you can carry water etc

Id suggest biting the bullet. Or look for something used.

WyoKid

WKR
I sometimes use a freighter pack with 2 dry bags strapped on to it as a day and multi-day hunting pack. If you get a freighter with a folding shelf, you can use it as a day pack with one dry bag attached or none. I like using the Slumberjack 2.0 hauler for this. Depending on the season and hunt, I will switch the size of the dry bags I am using to accommodate my gear and clothing. I also use the empty frame when hauling meat back to camp. I went this route to save money but also for versatility and to keep things simple. I sometimes don't need a pack with a lot of pockets or an internal pocket for a water bladder. It doesn't work for everyone so just figure out what will work for you and your style of hunting.

Slugz

WKR
I day hunt with a Kifaru frame, Guide lid and netting.

You could do pretty much the same thing with other make/models of frames that have that flexibility.

prm

WKR
^^What he said^^

Or, it appears a Stone Glacier R3 3300 would work too.

CamoFire has Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28s ($189.99) and 38s ($207.99) on sale today. Never seen them priced this low. XL, L, M and S available both models.

I have a PU 28 4 years and it's a terrific day pack that can haul more than you can.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you gentlemen. Sounds like I will go with a legitimate pack frame for now and just deal with the cost. However, I am going to look into the freighter frames listed above. I have a very old Kelty bag I picked up around 2008 on clearance but it does not handle weight over 60# very well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thank you gentlemen. Sounds like I will go with a legitimate pack frame for now and just deal with the cost. However, I am going to look into the freighter frames listed above. I have a very old Kelty bag I picked up around 2008 on clearance but it does not handle weight over 60# very well.
Get a Barney’s.

Freighter pack is doable but not comfortable. The best ones out there will carry any weight well but you'll feel restricted in a way that you won't with any of the modern designs. By the best I basically mean Barney's. The Kelty Cache Hauler is the best of the cheaper designs with a wrap around hipbelt that is genuinely good.

Maybe I'm missing something, though. I still see reviews from guys with Alps and Stansport freighter frames saying that they worked great for them, when I just cannot imagine making those packs work.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. For the cost of the Barney's, I will just get an EXO frame and go from there. I appreciate the input. I hear that they may be coming out with a K4 in the next month or 3. Maybe I will pick up a "cheap" k3 in the classifieds when that happens... if not, I will just buy a K4 frame.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Freighter pack is doable but not comfortable. The best ones out there will carry any weight well but you'll feel restricted in a way that you won't with any of the modern designs. By the best I basically mean Barney's. The Kelty Cache Hauler is the best of the cheaper designs with a wrap around hipbelt that is genuinely good.

Maybe I'm missing something, though. I still see reviews from guys with Alps and Stansport freighter frames saying that they worked great for them, when I just cannot imagine making those packs work.
I mostly agree but lots of guys use the Barney’s by choice still. I’m starting to lean towards just switching over to mine full time.

OP
G

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly agree but lots of guys use the Barney’s by choice still. I’m starting to lean towards just switching over to mine full time.
What would push you towards making this your primary option? Pro's/ Con's

What bag (or other option) is your current primary that you are moving away from as your go-to?

Do you have any experience with the EXO system? I ask as I am 95% sure I am going with EXO at this point and always love to know the thought process of people.

I have never claimed to be a smart guy... just smart enough to understand a good idea and modify it to fit my needs!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What would push you towards making this your primary option? Pro's/ Con's

What bag (or other option) is your current primary that you are moving away from as your go-to?

Do you have any experience with the EXO system? I ask as I am 95% sure I am going with EXO at this point and always love to know the thought process of people.

I have never claimed to be a smart guy... just smart enough to understand a good idea and modify it to fit my needs!
My only other bag is a stone glacier 7900 which I like a lot. I use the Barney’s frame to haul moose and it’s awesome for that. They are popular bags in Alaska and tons of people keep one around just to haul moose and bears with. They are also used by a lot of guides. They excel at hauling weight but you aren’t going to have the lightest pack out there, I’m sure part of it is nostalgia but it’s really a great product. Not cheap though, the bags for the frames are close to 500 dollars.

I’ve never tried an exo pack but I’m sure they are top notch too. Lately I’ve been on sort of a kick to get rid of excess in my gear, figured why have multiple packs when I could use one for everything?

I have run a Seek Outside Revolution frame with the Merlin as daypack on my last two hunts. It’s worked well.
52e82258149c3f9340de6daa8fe0eb0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the Seek Outside is as close as I’ve found to the weight hauling ability of a freighter pack of the newer packs due to its vertically rigid frame and the wraparound hipbelt. It is more sensitive to how you pack it, though.