Freshman Class of 2023- who is in it?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in it :D Dall sheep in the Brooks in August 23, booked 2/21- yeah I'm just a little jacked :ROFLMAO:

30 years applying here (Montana) for Bighorn, maybe I'll draw this year to make it really interesting!

Anyone else?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m in as well! Wrangell Mountains. I can’t wait to see how your hunt goes mtnwarden!
good deal!

Mt Warden Who are you booked with. I with with Jonah Stewart last year. It was a trip of a lifetime. I got lucky and got one the first hour of the first day.

Tyrells; congrats! :D I'm going to purchase a grizzly tag too just in case I'm that lucky, but not counting on it.

Are you hunting the first or second week. The guys that hunted the first week came in early and hunted for grizzly before sheep opened up. They killed a couple. I also had a grizzly tag. I hunted for a couple of days but I had over trained for my hunt and a pinched nerve really hurt my leg strength. I decided to head home early and just enjoy my sheep. I did not know it was a pinched nerve at that time. I am now trying to recover and went from 20 miles with a heavy pack to struggling to walk a 100 yds. This will not be your case but other new hunters should be extra careful in not over training with heavy packs.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you hunting the first or second week. The guys that hunted the first week came in early and hunted for grizzly before sheep opened up. They killed a couple. I also had a grizzly tag. I hunted for a couple of days but I had over trained for my hunt and a pinched nerve really hurt my leg strength. I decided to head home early and just enjoy my sheep. I did not know it was a pinched nerve at that time. I am now trying to recover and went from 20 miles with a heavy pack to struggling to walk a 100 yds. This will not be your case but other new hunters should be extra careful in not over training with heavy packs.

Ouch!

First week. Sounds like you get a couple of extra days to enjoy first week :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hope you draw your Montana tag! That happened to me in 1992. Had a dall hunt booked in the Yukon and also drew my 2d Wyoming bighorn. Saved having to get in shape another year. Filled both tags btw. Bighorn was a diy.

Wow- how neat is that!

Yeah I would be very happy to be in that "predicament" :D

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in as well…have been dreaming about sheep for over 30 years since I was a boy reading about the hunts in the various hunting rags of the time.

Hunting first week of September in the wrangells. I Booked in January of ‘21. Plan to have a spare grizzly tag if I get lucky, but focus is sheep.

13 days and a wakeup, I will start my drive out West to hunt Arizona desert bighorn sheep. Very blessed, lucky, and ecstatic to have drawn such a tag.

Been busy with life and work lately so I still have my sanity, somewhat. Happy hunting to everyone and Happy Thanksgiving also, TheGrayRider.