Front Rest - Shooting off a bench

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
I've always been curious what guys are using for a front rest when shooting off a bench, particularly during load development. I've always used a Harris Bipod w/ a Protektor Rabbit Ear rear style bag. What are some other options? The harris seems to be just ok and I'm looking to replace it as its seen better days. Atlas? Front bag? Caldwell adjustable shooting rest? Thanks all!

Harvey_NW

WKR
Caldwell tack driver with a rear bag was a game changer for me off the bench. I like the V style front bag it really stabilizes the forend.
VideoCapture_20230404-164911.jpg

car jack rest.....

HPIM3736.jpg

HPIM3744.jpg

Mag_7s

WKR
Caldwell Rock BR front pedestal with replacement Protector front owl ear and Protector rear bag. The pedistal is not too bad for the price point, but the bearing assembly could be improved.

Attachments

• 20220522_071040.jpg
    20220522_071040.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 46
OP
Johnc427

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
This is a low budget op, cheapo quarter inch bolt welded on using a broken swaro window mount ballhead, and it's not pretty.....grin

HPIM3743.jpg
When I first saw your reply in my email without the pictures, I thought you were being a smart Ass. Nice work!!

OP
Johnc427

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Caldwell Rock BR front pedestal with replacement Protector front owl ear and Protector rear bag. The pedistal is not too bad for the price point, but the bearing assembly could be improved.
How do you like that Rock BR?? Looks pretty solid. I looked into one of those

Mag_7s

WKR
How do you like that Rock BR?? Looks pretty solid. I looked into one of those
I like it actually. The owl ears it comes with are "okay", but the Protector owl ears are a good upgrade. A dryer sheet also works well too over the included ears to get a good slide.

slowelk

WKR
I just use a bipod. I hate hauling crap around. Especially crap that dosnt tell me how the rifle is normally going to shoot.

Agreed. I use an atlas bipod at the range and a rear bag. I never shoot off a bench, but certainly it would work on one.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I just use a bipod. I hate hauling crap around. Especially crap that dosnt tell me how the rifle is normally going to shoot.
I only like a front bag for load testing and zero confirmation. As soon as that's done it's back to bipod and rear bag for validation. I like knowing how well the system shoots with as little shooter error induced as possible. If things go haywire by switching to a bipod it's either mechanical, or a highlight of recoil management or shooter error.