Frozen locking pack buckles

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big Kifaru fanboy. I just got the 4300 and ARK frame and was excited to get it out into the woods. The weatherman let me down a bit, and my schedule had me humping in the rain late yesterday and then during the night 28F. Every thing was frozen solid when I woke up, with the most annoying issue being the locking Kifaru buckles. I couldn’t unlock the buckles and couldn’t move the straps, had to expose my fingers to get any traction. I have a Seek Outside pack that I switched out the buckles to the no locking, heavier, metal buckles and freaking love them, and they don’t seem to slip and I can manipulate them with frozen straps and wet gloves. They are 3/4 inch and the K buckles are 1”. Does anyone have a solution, or do I just have old man weak fingers?

valtteri

FNG
Not sure about the Kifaru buckles, but I have definitely had side release buckles that have hardened up considerably in freezing temps so not old man weak finger syndrome. :) The Stone Glacier buckles operate exactly the same for me, whether plus degrees or -10F

OP
docdb

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
Seek has some metal buckles that are now back ordered and I love em. They are metal and heavier, and don’t lock

mt100gr.

WKR
1" G Hook buckles are the same concept as those bachelor buckles. Kifaru used to have them available/in use for some applications, IIRC.

Looks like a guy can order them from a variety of vendors.

I think I still have some Kifaru G-hook/ ladder lock adapter straps....they're heavier, but pretty slick.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big Kifaru fanboy. I just got the 4300 and ARK frame and was excited to get it out into the woods. The weatherman let me down a bit, and my schedule had me humping in the rain late yesterday and then during the night 28F. Every thing was frozen solid when I woke up, with the most annoying issue being the locking Kifaru buckles. I couldn’t unlock the buckles and couldn’t move the straps, had to expose my fingers to get any traction. I have a Seek Outside pack that I switched out the buckles to the no locking, heavier, metal buckles and freaking love them, and they don’t seem to slip and I can manipulate them with frozen straps and wet gloves. They are 3/4 inch and the K buckles are 1”. Does anyone have a solution, or do I just have old man weak fingers?

I’ve used these on a load sling

yep g-hooks make sure to get the "wave" style they lock in better with some of the thinner mil spec webbing that backpack makers use