Frustrated - top of boot eats top of toes

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I need some help. I have a pair of Kennetek mountain Extreeme boots. The left boot fits great. The right boot rubs the tops of my middle toes - especially when I wear my loaded pack. I’ve tried different inserts to try and make more room for the toes. I’ve tried thinner socks. The fit is not yet what I want. Is there a way I can stretch the top of the toe box to make more room? Should I soak the boots in water? Other ideas. I’m not ready to give up on these boots yet, but my sheep hunt is 2020 and I want the boot issue solved way in advance.

Last edited:
For military boots soaking them and walking them dry works well. But they aren’t goretex which might effect that, not sure

It’s not the best solution, but I’ve used BodyGlide on those areas. It’s like a stick of lube used for anywhere that chafes, it looks like a deodorant stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. New boots or did this just start? Could be your feet are a different size. If they weren’t originally, they can become that way if your arches start to relax a bit with age. Some people gain a size or more and not always evenly between their two feet. Lovely middle age.

You might try some tape over the toe before the problem starts.

Some creative lacing can lock your foot more toward the rear of the boot and maybe keep your toes from cramming into the toe box.

ElPollo

WKR
I agree with desk jockey on the lacing solutions. I have a hammer toe on one foot that has a tendency to be ground off by new boots. I knot the lace behind the first or second eyelet such that a pull of the lace tightens up behind the toe box. Generally, this resolved the issue and 'sets' the boot by the time the first laces are worn out. Of course, this doesn't work for all boots. Of there isn't enough room in the toe box, it's still going to grind off your toe, but it works for those that pull down due to lacing pressure.

Ram94

WKR
I had this happen to me on a pair of Scarpa Kinesis due to having them too close to the stove while drying them. The toe box shrunk on the right boot ever so slightly and blistered the hell out of my toes. Ended up getting a new set and now am very careful how close they get to the stove.

Is the issue the boots and not your toe? I’ve had the same issue the last few years with a toe on my left foot. It took me a while to actually notice that my toe was developing a bend to it, causing the joint to stick up higher, most likely caused by mild arthritis. I’m playing around with different insoles and boots, with mixed results. I like ElPollo’s lacing idea. I’ll be trying that for sure.

When I used to work in a Western Boot store, we used rubbing alcohol on the leather in the spot where the boot was tight. It allowed the boot leather to stretch, and dried pretty quick to the shape of the foot. It didn't cause any damage to the leather, and we used it on some pretty expensive (Justin, etc) boots.
You could try to find a sock with more padding in the toe area (Kenetrek Alaska socks work well for me). Or, maybe look into using some Leukotape, but not sure how you could use it on your toes that are getting rubbed.

Last edited:

bassin_rob

Lil-Rokslider
Had an identical issue with my boot. Bumped the boots a half size up from 11.5 to 12 and no longer have any issues.

madcalfe

WKR
i run the orthopedic kennetrek mountain extremes and i find it helps lacing them from the top down and tieing knot in the center of the boot. i also took them to a shoe repair place and they stretched the toe box a bit for me. Can also get a zip lock bag and fill it with water and put it in the toe of the boot and then place it in the deep freeze with the toe of the boot pointing down and when the water in the bag freezes it will expand the toe box.