G3 Colorado Goat

Hunter24

FNG
Hey Rokslide!

I was very fortunate to draw a fist season goat tag for G3 / Mt. Harvard area. I’ve got all the gear necessary to hunt, and am a fairly experienced hunter and prepared to hunt in the backcountry - with that said, I’ve got no experience hunting mountain Goats.

Some thoughts and concerns to bounce off you experienced and knowledgeable roksliders as I plan and prepare:

1) is purchasing the Avenza kill site map worth it?

2) I’ve got a Kowa 88, and leupold Gold Ring 12-40, a ~60inch gitzo CF tripod, and a heavy manfrotto tripod. I also like to use my 10x42 ELs from a tripod - can you recommend a good lightweight tripod head that I can at least use up to the leupold spotter?

3) is it worth trading the leupold up for a Kowa 553, or Swaro 65?

4) should I invest in a shorter, lighter weight tripod to pack in/up the mountain?

5) I’m guessing my manfrotto tripod and Kowa 88 will most be used from the truck? And the smaller spotter and tripod can remain in my pack.

6) anyone who has hunted this unit - should I plan on hunting from the roads, staying light and non-commital to a particular basin? Or is it worth trying to spike camp deeper into the mountains?

7) lastly, if anyone has hunted this unit and is willing to share any past information, I will forever be grateful and do my best to reciprocate. I don’t want honey holes, but would like to ask about recommendations for: base camp locations, camper feasibility, logistical considerations and maybe some other specific questions as I continue to plan, prepare and scout. and of course anything you would think is helpful and are willing to share.

Thank you!

1 - Go to CPW hunting statistics and they publish the drainage every goat was killed in previous years. This gives you a very good starting point before paying for a map.

2 - I use an outdoorsmans micro pan head that is solid for 65 mm spotters. I think people are using the Tricer heads now too, but I haven't tried one.

3 - I've never looked through the gold ring model you have, but I'd take a swaro 65 over the kowa 55 any day.

4 - I would think the gitzo tripod you have is already a good fit. If it weighs more than 2#, you can definitely save some weight

5 - Lots of sheep hunters on here pack the 88. It just depends on how much you want to carry. It's all a trade-off.

6 & 7 - I've never hunted the unit, so no comment but good luck! I'm sure you'll have some people reach out with information. Usually the biologists and wardens for the unit will share some information too. Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance (RMGA) usually does summer surveys too across the western states that you can join and link up with some people who could give goat hunting advice.

OP
H

Hunter24

FNG
Awesome info and thanks for the response. I don’t doubt the swaro 65 is better, was curious if for goat it is worth the extra weight.

But you’re comment did get me thinking, depending on what I find scouting, maybe it is worth the weight expense to carry better glass - especially if I find I don’t need to pack in far.

Would you shoot off of your outdoorsman?

It all depends on what you are looking for in a Goat.

Trophy hunting and only want a B&C goat then you need the best glass to evaluate at long distance. That will make up for its weight by saving you miles of hiking :). Inches are hard to tell from far away. A good excuse to upgrade gear if you have the money.

If not as picky you will need enough glass to tell if its a mature animal or not, or a male vs female. Body, hair, and behaviors, urinating, group size are good clues you don't need alpha glass for. You probably have an either sex tag so it doesn't really matter in the end if you just want a goat.

OP
H

Hunter24

FNG
Hahaha. You hit the nail on the head. Deep down I know that what I have was fine. But this hunt turned out to be a good excuse to burn my hard earned and limited supply of cash to upgrade some pieces of gear.

My initial research has be thinking I’d like to shoot a mature Billy over 8 inches. I don’t think it’s realistic to go into this hunt looking for B and C quality.

Awesome info and thanks for the response. I don’t doubt the swaro 65 is better, was curious if for goat it is worth the extra weight.

But you’re comment did get me thinking, depending on what I find scouting, maybe it is worth the weight expense to carry better glass - especially if I find I don’t need to pack in far.

Would you shoot off of your outdoorsman?
Anytime. No way I would shoot off the outdoorsman. I finally broke one of the leg mechanisms on my Slik 522 tripod last November, so I've been looking at the Leofoto tripods to replace it and be able to shoot off it. I love it for glassing though. Might be a little weak for the Kowa 88, but I've never put a spotter that heavy on it.

OP
H

Hunter24

FNG
Thanks everyone. I just bought a tricer lp that I’m going to test out with bigger spotters and see if it’s feasible to shoot from as well.

As I plan, prepare, and scout I’ll do my best to keep everyone updated

ckleeves

WKR
The latest kill locations from Avenza will end In 2016 due to that being the last year CPW published exact locations. They can still be useful as far as seeing where goats came from historically but they aren’t current so just something to keep in mind. Goats can and will disperse (especially mature billys) from “core” areas so don’t get real caught up in hunting a cluster of kills. Everybody is looking at the same info so IMO hunting kill clusters can be a good way to see other hunters and less quality goats ie there is good chance a Billy doesn’t get to be 8 YO living in a area everybody is hunting.

OP
H

Hunter24

FNG
The latest kill locations from Avenza will end In 2016 due to that being the last year CPW published exact locations. They can still be useful as far as seeing where goats came from historically but they aren’t current so just something to keep in mind. Goats can and will disperse (especially mature billys) from “core” areas so don’t get real caught up in hunting a cluster of kills. Everybody is looking at the same info so IMO hunting kill clusters can be a good way to see other hunters and less quality goats ie there is good chance a Billy doesn’t get to be 8 YO living in a area everybody is hunting.
Interesting and great information. Thank you. The part about core area dispersion is the information I’m lacking just due to my inability to hunt goats every year. Thanks again.

CJeppard - just realized you sent a dm I’ll respond tonight