Gaining muscle for hunting?

More muscle mass needs more oxygen- not a good thing for back country hunting. Go for Strength not mass and whatever muscle shows up is a bonus

JakeSCH

WKR
I'm the opposite, where I have been "naturally" stocky. For years I would have hiking routines starting in May / June for years adding weight to my back and lose weight. It would get my feet tough and strengthen my cardio but never felt like it was enough when in the hunt.

Last two years I do strength training 4 days a week mixed in with some running / hiking. Last year was noticeable difference packing out an elk out of the bottom of a basin. First time in my life that I was doing extra trips to make up for others and felt great doing so.

I do agree about high rep ranges / muscular endurance training starting a month or so before you go out. I was doing 225 back squats for 3 sets of 20 or put on 135 for a sets of 50. They absolutely suck but it made a world of difference. I also cut out sugar / alcohol / processed foods at the same time of muscular endurance.

MDurham

FNG
I'm the opposite, where I have been "naturally" stocky. For years I would have hiking routines starting in May / June for years adding weight to my back and lose weight. It would get my feet tough and strengthen my cardio but never felt like it was enough when in the hunt.

Last two years I do strength training 4 days a week mixed in with some running / hiking. Last year was noticeable difference packing out an elk out of the bottom of a basin. First time in my life that I was doing extra trips to make up for others and felt great doing so.

I do agree about high rep ranges / muscular endurance training starting a month or so before you go out. I was doing 225 back squats for 3 sets of 20 or put on 135 for a sets of 50. They absolutely suck but it made a world of difference. I also cut out sugar / alcohol / processed foods at the same time of muscular endurance.
What was your workout routine? I’m getting back into the gym and improving my diet, I really just want to have the type of strength you seemed to have gotten, plus having some chest and shoulders to make concealed carrying easier is a plus

JakeSCH

WKR
What was your workout routine? I’m getting back into the gym and improving my diet, I really just want to have the type of strength you seemed to have gotten, plus having some chest and shoulders to make concealed carrying easier is a plus

My workout routine changes every 4 weeks. I change phases from flexibility, to stability, to strength, to endurance, then back around. I pay a buddy who is a personal trainer to come up with my routine because I do not want to figure it out. Lol.

I have him program 4 workouts plus a HERO but I usually miss one or two.

Block

WKR
I’d say there’s definitely a happy medium. I’ve ranged from 190-225 (6’ ~9-13%BF) the past 3 years and right around 195-205 @10% I feel best in the mountains. My cardio suffers and my knees and lower back seem to feel that extra 20 lbs

I’d say there’s definitely a happy medium. I’ve ranged from 190-225 (6’ ~9-13%BF) the past 3 years and right around 195-205 @10% I feel best in the mountains. My cardio suffers and my knees and lower back seem to feel that extra 20 lbs

I think your spot on with the happy medium my weight will go up and down throughout the year but I seem to end up around 205 going into hunting season and that works best for me. Sure I’m stronger at 230 in early spring but I don’t think I’d have the lungs or even muscle endurance to do multiple days hiking in the mountains at that weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk