Game bag size

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Going to pick up some nicer game bags this year. Going elk hunting, and deer. Would you get elk size and use for deer or get 2 diff sizes? Thinking if I get 1 size I would get a nicer set vs both. Admittedly that's being cheap but I don't see how having one that's too big would be an issue, if it is please elaborate.

Jrob

FNG
The deer size bags are more narrow so they hold their shape and pack better. It also depends if you plan on deboning your meat. You could cut some weight with smaller bags.

I’ve been using the Argali large game MOB bags. The high country bags are 6oz lighter and can fit a deer or deboned elk.

I haven't measured but have a few sets of both sizes in Black Ovis as well as some Allen. The BO set comes with 4 large bags and the smaller "meat parts" bag which I believe is the same size as the 4 larger "deer sized" bags that set comes with. I like to keep liver, heart, kidney and a LOT of trimmings from neck and brisket and ribs and all that (looks like buzzards picked it over when I leave) so I take both sets on Elk trip, usually bringing 4 large "elk sized" and 3 "deer sized" bags for a kill. It's a good excuse to buy a set of each, then you have the smaller set for deer as well and can use the elk sized "meat parts" bag for a 5th deer size larger bag for extra pieces and trimmings.