Garmin explorer or other unit

Matt G.

WKR
I have always had a GPS unit for my hiking and hunting for trails. Always felt secure using the bread crumb feature tracking where i go. Well my previous unit just broke. I had bought the map software previously and never had to purchase again. So now I am trying to research maybe getting a new unit. I don't want to only use my phone for everything. I broken enough of those as well.

I was thinking of buying the garmin explorer but it looks like you need to continously buy the annual license for the maps. Is this correct? If I buy maps once, load the unit will they stay on the unit indefinitly or will they get deleted after subscription ends. I like the topos from previously unit.

Otherwise I am thinking of just buying an older second hand unit and plop my chip back in and rent the mini/zoleo when I need them. Thanks for the comments.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I ran the Garmin 701 with applied ballistics for a couple years until I got the Garmin watch with applied ballistics.

I like the form factor of it. It’s small and unobtrusive. As a GPS it is awesome. With ballistics it is awesome if you have a connected rangefinder.