Garmin Fenix 5x plus

My GF bought me one this past
Month and I’m struggling to get it even close to accurate... the mileage was over 2 miles different from my GFs exact same watch on a 6 mile hike..,, the elevation updates at a turtles pace...driving up or down a mountain it will be over 1500’ off since it seems to only update every 10-20 Min or so.. When hiking the elevation is off by ALOT compared to my compass app or OnX,,, I work on a boat and set it to ZERO elevation and it was throwing out random elevations anywhere from -97 to +150 at sea level...the GPS struggles to get a signal everywhere... I’m not impressed so far but I’m sure I need to mess with the settings more

Last edited:
I think I finally have mine dialed in. I have spent probably 15 hours on the thing.
I took it on a 4 day backcountry fly fishing trip last week and relied totally on my Suunto Alpha except for the time!!.

I downloaded several different maps when I returned and think I have the map thing down now. I do like the colored map screen and believe I prefer the tracking on the 5x plus to my alpha. I set up the Garmin pay and music yesterday and am looking forward to those features. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference with reception on the trails. The are all slow, even my SAT device can take 90 minutes to send or receive any data.

I will say it is a total PIA to set up. Part of the problem is I believe it is not iOS based. I use a Mac and iPhone and it seemed to I always had to download additional files for the maps. The Wifi is still hit and miss. I still reserve my judgment until I give it one more trip!!

Back