Garmin/GPS questions

Hey guys, my Etrex Vista HCX ate chit this weekend and I am looking at upgrading. Want to stay with garmin because I have the software figured out after using it for 6 years and I already have garmin maps.

few questions...

1) I am looking at a few models... the Oregon 600, 60S, and Etrex 30.... any experience with these?
2) how does the touch screen work in hunting situations? Was it easier than the others you have used? I am used the the crappy little joystick thing on my vista but wonder if touch screen would be bad with gloves and such.

Any input would be great.

thanks

Joe

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the 60csx for about 5 years now and love it. It works great for showing the topo features if that is the type of map software you have. The battery life is great on it and I never have troubles with receiving a signal. I know you can find these online for decent prices. If I were currently in the market for a new gps my vote would go to the 62s.

few questions...

1) I am looking at a few models... the Oregon 600, 60S, and Etrex 30.... any experience with these?
2) how does the touch screen work in hunting situations? Was it easier than the others you have used? I am used the the crappy little joystick thing on my vista but wonder if touch screen would be bad with gloves and such.

Any input would be great.

thanks

Joe

I think I've used all of those you mention to some extent or another. No real bad choices there. I use GPS for work, so I tend to be less focused on the cool wiz-bang features, and more on functionality for the stuff I do 99% of the time (navigate, find points, mark points, track routes/trails).

Which one you want to chose will depend on how you are using it. If you were generally happy with the Etrex you had before, the new ones are just more of a good thing. Better screen, easier to use, very compact... I like them.

For heavy duty use (what I do), I really like the 62 series. Buttons are the way to go in the deep cold, they are very reliable, the screen is decent.... Just a good solid tool for the frequent user.

The Oregon has the best screen to size ratio, and seemed easy to use in my limited experience, but their is just no way to beat big rubber buttons when using gloves, so we stuck with the 62 on our last few we bought. Not bad GPS's at all, and I think they are likely the way to go for most people, but since it's cold a large part of the year where I live... I'll stick with the 62 for now.

Yk

crumy

WKR
Don't have experience with the models you mention but I have a touch screen 450 Oregon. Had it for 3 years and it is great but when I go to upgrade I will get button version. Here is why:

- screen is scratched up from use makes it hard to see at times. Glares easier
- cant use with gloves easily

edg1967

WKR
I just got an REI flyer I. The mail yesterday. It looks as though Garmin is discontinuing the 62 series because they are going to be on sale for $150 or $200...can't remember which, but it was a pretty good deal.

OP
S
I just got an REI flyer I. The mail yesterday. It looks as though Garmin is discontinuing the 62 series because they are going to be on sale for $150 or $200...can't remember which, but it was a pretty good deal.

how come you think it is going to be discontinued? I saw the flier too, 200 bucks seems like a great deal.

Joe

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
You can't go wrong with any of these units. I chose the eTrex 30 a couple of years ago. I gravitate towards a smaller/lighter unit. I've been pleased with mine. Lock-on time is incredible, also uses the Glonass (Russian) constellation.

edg1967

WKR
how come you think it is going to be discontinued? I saw the flier too, 200 bucks seems like a great deal.

Joe

I don't know for sure…I'm basing it on my knowledge of the Marine Electronics industry. Generally, they will offer big discounts on products when they are going to replace them with a new model.

Clarktar

WKR
I think the price reduction in the standard 62 model is because they rolled out another 62 (s) that have cameras and other gadgets...

2ski

WKR
For those that have them, do you use the added features of the 62s vs just the plain 62? I see the 62s is not on sale, the 62 is.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a 62 but I have done a fair amount of research into them when I was considering upgrading. I would have to say that your question as to which one to get is a personal preference. I like having the ability to use a data card (micro sd card) in my gps because I run a mapping program that requires this. I also like having the compass and the altimeter. Beyond that I think the ability to transfer data points from one gps to another is going to depend if you have friends or multiple units you would like to share way points with.

OP
S
For those that have them, do you use the added features of the 62s vs just the plain 62? I see the 62s is not on sale, the 62 is.

THe 62S is the one on the REI flier. Not the 62. The 62S has the SD card slot and the 62 doesnt, so to me it is a no brainer due to the ability to use hunting gps maps or similar land ownership chips. Also, i have the Vista HCX that has the electronic compass and it is nice to have because not matter if you are stopped or moving you get an accurate idea on your direction of travel. THe barometer seems like something that isnt a bid issue to me. It is sometimes fun to brag that you climbed x number of feet but i could live without it since the topo maps are pretty accurate as far as elevation goes.

Joe

2ski

WKR
Oh. Ok. when I looked at the rei website it listed the 62 on sale, not the 62s. You're right, lack of a sd slot is a deal breaker.

Another vote for the 62s, it's is a very very good gps and I would highly recommend stepping up to the 62s over the regular 62. I wouldn't bother getting one with the camera but that's just me I take a fairly nice camera pretty much everywhere I go anyway.

dotman

WKR
I don't think the garmin is being discontinued, just a great sales price. I also noticed the Salomon 4D GTX everyone raves is a great price as well.

There were some pretty good sales on the 62s this time last year too. We bought two more at that time. It's a pretty mature GPS at this point, but I wouldn't predict it's demise just because of this sale.

Yk

I currently use the garmin rino 650 so far I like it overall and all the functions and ease to getting to them but it can be a pain with the touch screen with gloves on IMO

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
My hunting partner and I bought Garmin Rino 650's this year.. worked well. Even with gloves most of the time. I think having the radio/GPS combo can't be beat. Combining 2 devices into one is always a plus for me. I also purchased the hunting GPS map card for our specific state which is a must IMO. I do wish I could have sat maps on my 650..then it would be unbeatable!