Garmin Instinct GPS watch

Yes vibration works great. I use it for tracking legal shoot time I use the sunrise/sunset and set 30 min before sunrise/30 minutes after sunset depending on what I am hunting...I had 2 different gobblers under the gun this year a few minutes before sunrise...as soon as my sunrise alarm/vibration went off I shot. One was at 10 yds when I shot...No way I would have killed that bird if I would have had to look at my watch to check time.

Last edited:
OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I end up charging mine about once per week currently. That's with about 5 hours of activity tracking (full on GPS) on average. I could get the 2 weeks on smart watch mode with no GPS tracking but for my typical uses 7-9 days is what I average. If I'm hunting and tracking more I have to charge more frequently so nearly doubling the capacity sounds pretty good to me. I don't think I'll run out to upgrade till my current watch dies but if I were choosing between the solar and standard unit today I'd be willing to pay the extra for the solar personally.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
I end up charging mine about once per week currently. That's with about 5 hours of activity tracking (full on GPS) on average. I could get the 2 weeks on smart watch mode with no GPS tracking but for my typical uses 7-9 days is what I average. If I'm hunting and tracking more I have to charge more frequently so nearly doubling the capacity sounds pretty good to me. I don't think I'll run out to upgrade till my current watch dies but if I were choosing between the solar and standard unit today I'd be willing to pay the extra for the solar personally.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is a very accurate post. I have damn near identical results with mine. I don’t ever let it run down completely. I’ll wait until I have one bar and throw it on charge for 20-30 min and go for another week or more.

FlyGuy

WKR
I charge mine for about 10 min/ day while I’m in the shower and getting dressed. Never gets below 3 bars.

You can’t cheat the mountain

I do not wear mine every day. When I power it up why is the altimeter always off?
If I saved my home location and calibrated the altimeter at that spot why do I need to recalibrate every time power up?
If I turn on the gps why would it not already know I’m at home and have that elevation?

fwafwow

WKR
I do not wear mine every day. When I power it up why is the altimeter always off?
If I saved my home location and calibrated the altimeter at that spot why do I need to recalibrate every time power up?
If I turn on the gps why would it not already know I’m at home and have that elevation?
I’m not *sure* of the answer, but the altimeter was the biggest disappointment to me. I believe the altimeter is based on barometric pressure, not by matching the known elevation of a particular map coordinate. I’m not sure why the latter can’t be done, but when I said something like that in a prior post, I think a comment was made that it’s not possible - which I don’t understand.

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, the ALT is based off barometric pressure that is not a constant. You can go through the menus to get it to calibrate via GPS, but it takes longer and takes a heavier toll on your battery. Typically when i care about an accurate ALT i am running the Hike or Hunt activity which uses GPS.

fwafwow

WKR
Yes, the ALT is based off barometric pressure that is not a constant. You can go through the menus to get it to calibrate via GPS, but it takes longer and takes a heavier toll on your battery. Typically when i care about an accurate ALT i am running the Hike or Hunt activity which uses GPS.
Thanks Rob. I will have to try this. Is it straight forward enough that even a simpleton (like me) can do it?

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks @Boxerboxer @S&S Archery (Rob). Does that step calibrate the ALT meaning it gives just a starting point and subsequent ALT readings continue to be based on pressure changes, or does it then provide subsequent ALT outputs based on the GPS positioning?

Thanks @Boxerboxer @S&S Archery (Rob). Does that step calibrate the ALT meaning it gives just a starting point and subsequent ALT readings continue to be based on pressure changes, or does it then provide subsequent ALT outputs based on the GPS positioning?
I believe it will update it's source of truth when you calibrate but then use barometric pressure from there til next cal. Starting an activity runs a GPS cal but it doesn't sound like it will continually recalibrate with gps. Some reading:

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk