Gatewood Cape vs Sea to Summit ultra-sil Nano tarp poncho

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
looking for options to lighten up my load, so trying to cut my rain gear and shelter weight. i would take my rain gear if i know it was going to rain. I am 6'2" so i don't know if i would even fit in the Gatewood Cape shelter. was also looking at sheep tarp from kifaru, but i don't know how i would were it as rain gear. any suggestions?

FreeRange

WKR
I have the Gatewood, I'm 5'11 and do really like it. Granted I have not weathered any significant rain in it or had to use it as a poncho. As a functional shelter and poncho I have confidence it can weather most anything I'm likely to put it through, hunting in CA you generally know a few days out when the real heavy weather is coming and for that I'd suggest a different system, as you mentioned for one, to have better rain gear but secondly to have a larger shelter if I'm going to be waiting out any weather. I think you will be right on the edge of OK at 6'2" I've even thought myself about adding guyout points at the head and foot though that's just for luxury, not necessity, at my height.

For comparison I first tried a Golite Poncho/Tarp, which seems very similar to the Sea to Summit. I feel there is no comparison, the Gatewood is a real shelter and is pretty amazing for the weight. I did not feel comfortable with that tarp without a bivy in rain, which weighs more than the Gatewood when combined. Of course the flat tarp vs floorless shelter is a whole other debate.

OP
Dodgeis4me

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Gatewood, I'm 5'11 and do really like it. Granted I have not weathered any significant rain in it or had to use it as a poncho. As a functional shelter and poncho I have confidence it can weather most anything I'm likely to put it through, hunting in CA you generally know a few days out when the real heavy weather is coming and for that I'd suggest a different system, as you mentioned for one, to have better rain gear but secondly to have a larger shelter if I'm going to be waiting out any weather. I think you will be right on the edge of OK at 6'2" I've even thought myself about adding guyout points at the head and foot though that's just for luxury, not necessity, at my height.

For comparison I first tried a Golite Poncho/Tarp, which seems very similar to the Sea to Summit. I feel there is no comparison, the Gatewood is a real shelter and is pretty amazing for the weight. I did not feel comfortable with that tarp without a bivy in rain, which weighs more than the Gatewood when combined. Of course the flat tarp vs floorless shelter is a whole other debate.

Thanks for your input.

tttoadman

WKR
I picked up a Gatewood a few months ago. I have set it up multiple times. It sets up quick. It seems high quality. I have slept under it a couple times. Pulled down to the ground it gets pretty small in there. I have added 24" guy line loops. I can pitch it as high as my pole will go. It adds quite a bit of room, and I can hook these on about any stick or rock. I have slept one night with this paired with a raven omni bivy. The tie point inside the cape is just right to hook the bivy mesh up.

I put this together primarily as a spike shelter. I am still working on the floor less idea. If I continue to go floorless, I may look at the haven tarp instead. The difference in space is big. I plan to hang the cape sometime soon and see how that works. I normally have trees available.

Take my limited experience for what it's worth. I am experimenting just like you are.