Gear-a-drift... My Nightmare

We have all had at least one nightmare hunt and I have been part of a few, but most recently mine happened two weeks ago.
I was on my way to a four day spring bear scouting trip when I stopped for gas and had to use the little boys’ room. I filled the truck up and drove to the trailhead, but to my surprise when I got there my Kifaru Mountain Warrior that I have had since 2012 was gone. Optics, tripod, warming layers, 0 degree bag, RabRidge Bivy: ALL GONE. While I am not a forgetful person and with the truck camp, it was impossible to fly or fall out of the back, I figured that I left it at home amidst the rush in the morning. I walk through the door and my pack with all of my gear and food inside was not there. Must have been stolen at some point throughout the day I figured. I have accumulated gear throughout the years, but with moving with my job, is in a storage unit in the lower 48. I franticly through some gear together that I had which included a 45 degree sleeping bag, a backup cook set, a three person tent that I have never used and bought on an impulse buy, and old freighter pack and a larger waterproofing bag. Couple warming layers, a little food that I could rustle up from the kitchen and I was heading back out.

Knowing that I was ill prepared for Alaska in March, allowed me to embrace the suck factor that was I was about to endure. I got out of my truck, without weighing anything in my pack I immediately noticed a difference that what I was used to, but I determined to get out into the woods after doing nothing but ice fishing all winter. I walked in 7 miles, but was feeling good until it turned dark. It dropped below 20 degrees that night and I forgot my sleeping pad. I woke up at 0330 to build a fire and unfreeze myself from the ground. Waiting for the sun to come up I started writing down things that I need to buy and things that I just plain forgot. I wanted to remember what kind of suck fest this actually was.

To make a long story of misery short, I was very ill prepared for this adventure, but I survived. I learned, or rather relearned, three major things that I will never forget.
(1) Boiling your water 500ml at a time sucks and you always need more water
(2) Woodsmanship can actually make the suck fest less as I ditched the tent and built a lean-to and a bed of pine with a warming fire.
(3) If you are determined enough (or dumb, either way), you can make it, but it wont be as comfortable

The only good thing to come out of this, is that I am now forced to spend money on the gear that I already know that I will need and try new gear that I have been wanting.
Good Luck to everyone this year!

muleman

WKR
Man that sucks. Inspirational that you turned around, made do, and got after it!

Hopefully by watching classifieds and talking with pawn shops in the area you can get your stuff back. I would also file a police report if you haven't already.

Man, I don't know that I would be near as cheerful as you are right now having gone through that.

I hope you end up getting everything back.

Ray

WKR
I assume you were headed south for spring bear. Stopped in Anchorage for gas, or maybe Girdwood?
Never leave anything in the back of your truck here in Anchorage that you are not comfortable donating to the poor and less fortunate.
Always lock the doors. Its mostly guys checking doors and looking around for the easy pickings, so any locked window or door stops (or slows) them down too much.
If you were headed north and stopped in Wasilla, lucky you still had a truck left.

OP
R
I did file a police report and the cop was unsure if he really believed that I had approximately 5,000 dollars worth of gear (probably more) until I started listing the stuff I had in there. But it was my fault I shouldn't have left it in the truck unsecured.

OP
R
I was headed south and was in Girdwood getting gas right off the Seward Hwy. I hate that I did it, but I am trying to stay positive. Just chalk it up as lessons learned lol... Best lessons I learn are when I am an idiot lol

elkguide

WKR
That really stinks. Glad that that was all that you lost and were still able to get into the woods. Good luck going ahead.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Way to suck it up and get on. Sorry to hear about your gear but hopefully, someday, somehow, "they" will get their just due.
Another reason to hate people. Cept roksliders of course.................

Randy

I gotta give it to you for having such a positive attitude in light of the circumstances. I'm sure several choice words were said, but your positive attitude is what got you out into the woods in light of the sucky circumstances. More people these days need to have this kind of attitude. When life gives you lemons but no sugar, it'll be mighty tart, but it's drinkable...

JPD350

WKR
A nightmare for sure, it must of been a Bernie supporter!

Thanks for posting and reminding everyone to lock up every time you leave your vehicle.

Hopefully the rest of the year will be filled with success!

OP
R
A bad deal for sure...I assume you have insurance with replacement cost?

I actually don't have insurance for the replacement cost of the stuff, so I am starting all over again. Which is not necessarily a bad thing because the gear that I had was anywhere between 8-4 years old and there is a lot of new things that I am wanting to try. I am slowly getting back to where I was by searching closeouts for deals to soften the pain on my wallet lol.

OP
R
I gotta give it to you for having such a positive attitude in light of the circumstances. I'm sure several choice words were said, but your positive attitude is what got you out into the woods in light of the sucky circumstances. More people these days need to have this kind of attitude. When life gives you lemons but no sugar, it'll be mighty tart, but it's drinkable...

Back country,

When it first happened I wasn't as calm about it as I am right now, that's for sure. I was more than angry and there were a lot of words that were said that I would not repeat on this forum, but like you said it was drinkable I just didn't like it.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I did file a police report and the cop was unsure if he really believed that I had approximately 5,000 dollars worth of gear (probably more) until I started listing the stuff I had in there. But it was my fault I shouldn't have left it in the truck unsecured.
20 years ago your stuff would have still been in your truck but this is the price we pay for progress. Kudos to you for sticking with it anyways!