Gear is great, BUT you need to get in the field!

you two might enjoy alti2ude outdoors then I think they only have 200 members and will probably never reach a thousand so it should be a blast

littlebuf

Banned
boom.... I have noticed you posting a bit less Trevor and wondered if this was a potential reason.

Mike

This and the fact that I've been non stop hunting since the beginning of September ( its really amazing I still have a job) . I prefer the real thing and supplement my hunting addiction with the Internet on the off season. But don't get me wrong, I still get as big a kick as ever out of the fan boys I just don't have the time to keep up with all the posts

you two might enjoy alti2ude outdoors then I think they only have 200 members and will probably never reach a thousand so it should be a blast

I'm still a paying rokslide sponsor and don't plan on going anywhere. Just enjoy the forums when they are smaller for personal involvement, the bigger rokslide gets though the better it is for business so I won't complain too much! :)

Mike

Shrek

WKR
It's probably just the right size for the proprietor. If it got any bigger he might not be able to keep up with it and then he would just run off and abandon it.

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
I have been to plenty of internet forums and they are always filled with posers that have 'all the gear and no idea'. Rokslide has a much higher legitimate participation level and the majority really do seem to get out there - This is why I love it here and enjoy learning from everyone.

i think this site is great and take some and leave some...... in the end personal trial and error to yourself is the best. i only use anything on the internet to lend another voice to what i may or may not think. i have found my own trial and error has made me stronger and a better person in the mountains. it is cool to see others views and opinions of items and what works for them. i still choose to learn the hard way, its costly but at least i made my own path..........

I can agree with you and the Kifaru part, but you're wrong about Swarovski! Especially since I've replied to over 100 PM's about Swaro products....maybe you're seeing what you want to see?

Well I don't remember where I said Aron Snyder? I was just saying in general.

Oh BTW I love my Outdoorsmans tripod and head, but don't tell anyone because I'm not a pro like some people.

Last edited:
i think this site is great and take some and leave some...... in the end personal trial and error to yourself is the best. i only use anything on the internet to lend another voice to what i may or may not think. i have found my own trial and error has made me stronger and a better person in the mountains. it is cool to see others views and opinions of items and what works for them. i still choose to learn the hard way, its costly but at least i made my own path..........

Probably the best post out of the 5 pages so far!!!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well I don't remember where I said Aron Snyder? I was just saying in general.

Oh BTW I love my Outdoorsmans tripod and head, but don't tell anyone because I'm not a pro like some people.

Do you have an issue with me or Rokslide?

What's up with the "pro" comment? Doesn't make much sense....

I only mentioned the amount of PM's, because they derived from people talking about swarovski on the forum.

The original post was a reminder to people that they should only comment (or try anyway) on what they know.

Getting a little of track now....

Maybe we should continue this on a PM or phone call?

Last edited:
Do you have an issue with me or Rokslide?

What's up with the "pro" comment? Doesn't make much sense....

I only mentioned the amount of PM's, because they derived from people talking about swarovski on the forum.

The original post was a reminder to people that they should only comment (or try anyway) on what they know.

Getting a little of track now....

Maybe we should continue this on a PM or phone call?

Settle down no need to get excited. I don't have a problem with you or anyone on Rokslide. I am only posting my thoughts on a topic brought up. I only said pro because that's what I am getting out of this post. Unless you spend 235 days a year in the field and all you do is hunt you can't give your opinion on something. This is a public forum and your going to get a lot of people at different levels. I like others take everything on here with a grain of salt and can make up my own decisions on the gear I spend my money on.

I mean you guys are making it sound like you have to wear an item out before you can say anything about it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
JH, I think your taking it all wrong. Just want a little common sense. Use your gear a little before you proclaim it the best!

As far as the Vortex vs Swaro, I went to the analytics. January to November Vortex was typed 2212 times, Swaro 2650.

ckleeves

WKR

Very well said. IMO forums like this give you a starting point to check out gear, see how other people are doing things etc, but in the end the only review that really matters is the honest one you give to yourself after seeing how things really work in the field. Doesn't matter how much you paid for an item, sometimes you have to level with yourself and realize that even though you paid a ton and it's a forum favorite it really doesn't suite your needs very well and cut the cord.

All in all it's a great forum to hang out at. The advice on gear you read may or may not be very accurate, but in all reality the success of your hunt probably doesn't really depend on your gear as much as we tend to believe as long as you test things out at least a little bit before relying on them. Willpower and physical and mental toughness can't be reviewed or bought.

JG358

WKR
I mean you guys are making it sound like you have to wear an item out before you can say anything about it.

Seems to me that they're taking about guys recommending/swearing by stuff they haven't even tried in the field yet, like a pack they have on order or binos they tried out in a store. Hard to get a real feel for gear that you haven't put through its paces. Kinda like Setting up a tent in the back yard isn't the same as riding out a nasty storm above treeline.

dotman

WKR
JH, I think your taking it all wrong. Just want a little common sense. Use your gear a little before you proclaim it the best!

As far as the Vortex vs Swaro, I went to the analytics. January to November Vortex was typed 2212 times, Swaro 2650.

Yeah but of the 2650, 2649 said vortex is better :). J/k

Look I am sorry to everyone on here and I meant nothing negative by what I was saying. Not bad to have a bunch of guys that know their gear. I am not trying to start anything with anyone just giving my opinion and I am a Jarhead so take it for what it's worth.

Seems to me that they're taking about guys recommending/swearing by stuff they haven't even tried in the field yet, like a pack they have on order or binos they tried out in a store. Hard to get a real feel for gear that you haven't put through its paces. Kinda like Setting up a tent in the back yard isn't the same as riding out a nasty storm above treeline.

If they're saying they did stuff with it that they haven't or not saying what experience they have with it then yes I see the problem there. Again sorry to everyone and for getting this somewhat off topic.

someone gets it :thumbsup: