Gear Test

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the thread mf, been following along and might just pick up a couple things! Keep it up friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Well here goes any way:
These are my favorite go to battery pack.
I know the GB is loudly promoting the Dark Energy packs, and from all reviews they are a great set up. But I discovered these Rav Pwer cells sometime ago. Been using the first one enough to say, "I like it and need another".
Amazon.com: Power Bank RAVPower 26800mAh Portable Charger Total 5.5A Output 3-Port Battery Pack (2A Input, iSmart Technology 2.0) Portable Battery Charger External Battery for Smartphones Tablets and More-Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

For $45 which is super pricing compared to others and a whopping 26,800 mAH....... come on now !!

I carry 2 of these at just a pound each and all my electronic needs are met. No more AA or AAA .

Everything is rechargeable and these 2 packs will get me thru a 5 day hunt with ease

I am charging: Delorme In Reach GPS/Emerg device, 1000 lumen Head Lamp, Cell phone, Tent light, Go Pro

Feels great to have all devices the same and plenty of power for the duration at under $100 and 2 lbs
I use a Titia. $22 on Amazon, flawless after one season.

Features:*
1. Battery type: Li-polymer battery*
2. Solar power: Single crystal 1.5W*
3. Application type: commonly used*
4. material: ABS+PC+ Silicone*
5. Capacity: 10000mAh*
6. Input: DC 5V/1.0A*
7. Output: DC 5V/1A DC 5V/2.1A*
8. charging time: 12h

2 USB out, waterproof, doesn't over heat. About as big as my cell, twice as thick. Either left it on front seat if truck camping or just hanging on the outside of my tent. Use my phone for GPS all day. At camp could fully charge every night while also playing music or a pod cast for about an hour while I ate and got settled. Zero problems so far.

Also has a pretty bright light. Light also flashes SOS, or full disco rescue signal strobe.

Can't beat it for around$20, I'm buying a couple more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Bought that light, showed up yesterday. Not bad, and I can confirm that the solar function seems to work just fine. Time will tell regarding durability.

Also bought the bigger 3 panel light that looks like a little fan. More light and you can aim it.

This is a great thread.

HaHa I saw that and almost got it- glad it is working for you

OP
mfllood3800
BTW- I'm currently charging my phone from the little green solar light...
This thing has potential.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's awesome if it will keep up

I do have a small phone sized solar charger.
I tested it on my Galaxy 7 edge.
It would keep it at the % it was at, but wouldn't charge it more than 1%-2% above its setting.

How ever I didn't put it in Airplane Mode.
Had I done that it may have charged it up a lot better..

When using my battery packs systems and charging my phone/Delorme I will definitely put them in airplane mode and reduce the amount of juice needed

OP
mfllood3800
Right now my pack is already at a weight above what I wanted.
At first I wanted to be at 40-45 lbs for a 5-7 day hunt. A solo hunt. This includes tipi and wood stove and some other gear I am trying out.
-water filtration, tent heat/light system, saw, pulley system for food and qtrs., home made bear alarm fence ideas.....

But I am not skimping on sleeping pad, pillow, bag or food. I need to sleep

I just finished a Turkey hunt (2 days) and hiked about 6 miles total at 10-11,000' and cant believe how much food and water I consumed, so I am going to up my calorie amounts for the 5 day elk hunt- more weight.

I will say my water purification source has gone from tablets, to pump and now to Nalgene and steripen and possibly a sawyer minifilter.
I like these 2 set ups best, so I rigged my bladder and sawyer mini with the same quick connects so I can still fill my bladder while in my pack.

I am really wanting to leave the pump at home. Bulky, too time consuming.

I'm undecided on body wipes for cleaning up
Amazon.com: ArcherOG Biodegradable Wipes for Camping and Outdoor Use. Aloe and Vitamin Enriched Extra Large 8 Inch by 11 Inch 30 Pack: Kitchen & Dining

or body wash in a 2 oz bottle
Amazon.com: Wildlife Research Scent Killer Gold Body Wash and Shampoo, (12-Ounce): Sports & Outdoors

I'm leaning to the wipes as it wont require as much water.
I am thinking of drying the wipes out (lighter) then adding a bit of water to get them activated again.

OP
mfllood3800
Also has a pretty bright light. Light also flashes SOS, or full disco rescue signal strobe.

The full disco mode in action. Could you imagine walking into camp in the evening and seeing A back pack hunter going all John Travolta to his IPhone Saturday night fever play list.
I'd have to back out in stealth mode

lol

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick heads up these lights are on a Lightening deal for another 4 hr for $12.99 vs $16.99 on amazon.

Okay, so I got the light yesterday and played with it a bit. Cool light but definitely on the heavy side. I can see it making the cut in my pack. Car or truck camping sure but then why not bring a real lantern.

Anyways it Neat light but all I really need is a headlamp and as a back up a little light that clips to my hat.

OP
mfllood3800
Got a fairly light weight pulley for hanging qtrs, camp food or what ever
At about 4 oz and around $12
Its a neat tool
I'd say its over kill honestly and I am sure there is a lighter, smaller set out there some where

20d9d73568dab26fa5ce5e46b8cd605c.jpg

Amazon.com : Fusion Climb Ekat Micro Aluminum Side Swing Pulley Orange 20KN : Climbing Pulleys : Sports & Outdoors

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I went up to the mountain Turkey hunting and decided to take all my water filtration set ups with.
I did a video I may post eventually.
I have a
Hand pump, steripen, gravity flow filter

Of the 3 I liked the sawyer mini filter hooked directly up to my platypus 2L bag or the little one that comes with it.
Next in line would be the steripen. But this may stay at home as well, other than if I talk myself into bringing it as a back up plan.
Last was the hand pump. I know these have their place in certain settings, but it will be staying at home or going up for sale shortly.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm leaning to the wipes as it wont require as much water.
I am thinking of drying the wipes out (lighter) then adding a bit of water to get them activated again.

That works well. I've done it more than a few times. They rehydrate in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
Got a fairly light weight pulley for hanging qtrs, camp food or what ever
At about 4 oz and around $12
Its a neat tool
I'd say its over kill honestly and I am sure there is a lighter, smaller set out there some where

If you already have a 'biner but need a pulley, this should work:

P00A-ULTRALEGERE_LowRes.jpg

f441a896-66d1-47d8-a950-7212552ba5e4.jpg

Weighs 10 grams.

Access Denied

OP
mfllood3800
Mr Green
That is perfect
Exactly what I would want and just put 3 of these in my Amazon cart for $15.

thank you

Tbuckus

WKR
Found this collapsible lantern on Amazon

Amazon.com : Sunlight Solar LED Collapsible Lantern with 800mAh Rechargeable USB Power Bank : Sports & Outdoors

It is also a rechargeable and solar set up. It says it can last up to 10 hrs at low lumen which is around 25 and the high is around 65 and it will last for half that at 5 hrs.

Best part is it's only $12.95 which is $4 cheaper than the other one I'm wanting with identical specs

Guess I am switching this in my cart

Don't know why, but my first reply to this didn't go thru.

I have a Luci light. Extremely happy with it. A buddy brought it chuckar hunting once and he has had it for a while and has gone on many trips. I'd have to throw it on a scale to be exact, but this thing is lightweight.
Use it on my first backpack deer hunt last year. Just clipped it to the outside of my backpack on the hike up and clipped on the outside of my tent while out hunting. The price is a couple dollar more than the off brands, but I've noticed that sometimes you're better off quality wise with originals

OP
mfllood3800
Don't know why, but my first reply to this didn't go thru.

I have a Luci light. Extremely happy with it. A buddy brought it chuckar hunting once and he has had it for a while and has gone on many trips. I'd have to throw it on a scale to be exact, but this thing is lightweight.
Use it on my first backpack deer hunt last year. Just clipped it to the outside of my backpack on the hike up and clipped on the outside of my tent while out hunting. The price is a couple dollar more than the off brands, but I've noticed that sometimes you're better off quality wise with originals

I didn't weigh it yet but the rechargeable one is noticeably lighter than the one that takes AA batteries once those batteries are in it.

Tbuckus

WKR
Here is a neat multi tool I now carry it has Phillips screwdriver ,flat blade screwdriver ,saw ,knife ,wire cutters LED light & Pliers very lightweight at 2.5 oz, super small in size
I found this at a local Shopko here in Utah for like $19

b4bd437cdc5ae8d1c6a66993da90681d.jpg
7371e8650ba49a0fd0d8486a38fc57c4.jpg
9b878a1662e6771651fa9de308d7c276.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I was digging thru my fishing gear and found my multi tool I got at sportsmans a while back. Looks similar to yours. Weighed 2.6oz. I like the idea of carrying that instead of my larger multi tool. The battery is gone. If I can't find a battery, I may just cut that part off. Don't really need it.

OP
mfllood3800
It's one of my better finds.
Funny the wife and I go shopping and I am always seeking the aisles where weird stuff is and she asks "me what are you looking for in there", and I say, "I don't know, but when I see it I will know".
This is really great for the havalon knives blade exchange process

OP
mfllood3800
Heading to about 6000' here in Utah to see how the tent does without the stove in about 40 and winds. I am taking some small gel fuel cans to use if it gets colder than I expect.

I am also testing the newer solar type collapsible lantern to see how many hrs I can get it from it.

The other items are some portable battery packs and head lamps.

This will be my first night sleeping on the Klymit Vluxe as well, hope it does better than my last rolled mat set up.
We had rain so ground is holding moisture but not too bad.

Also never tried the SB Via so it is on the menu for the morning.

It's been a grueling week so I hope to sleep well and awake not too sore or cold.

DIY HNTR

FNG
Has anyone used one of these or something similar in your tent at night so you don't have to go out in the cold or rain to pee? They are $3 on wish and only weigh 2.7oz. These might even be a good idea wile hunting in a blind.

I think you'll like 1000ml Ourdoor Aid Bottle Urinal Female Male Unisex Portable Mobile Toilet for Car Journeys Travel Camping Hiking. Add it to your wishlist!

Wish | 1000ml Ourdoor Aid Bottle Urinal Female Male Unisex Portable Mobile Toilet for Car Journeys Travel Camping Hiking

View attachment 51106