Gear that lasted over 20 years

This thread has made me realize not much lasts 20 years of much use

The only hunting related item I can think of is a s&w 629

Surprisingly enough, I have 2 loomis salmon rods that have been used a crazy amount and are still kicking, and a Penn levelmatic 340 I bought 30ish years ago, I have no idea how it still works but it does, it’s seen a lot more use than maintenance

87TT

WKR
Good stuff lasts. I have a Hi lift jack and a spark plug tire pump in my Sammy that were bought for off-roading in the early 70's. I also have a 4 man backpacking tent that I still use for car camping that I bought 30 years ago.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
A pair of full zip leg insulated bibs… from Wal Mart, I think.

Duxbak coat

Remington 1100

Maglite

Homelite Super XL chainsaw… from when they were made in Gastonia NC

MEC Jr progressive reloader

SonnyDay

WKR
+1 for the MSR Whisperlite.

Lent my first one (bought in the early 90's) to a girl who burned it up trying to prime it... but she replaced it with what was at the time the state-of-the-art shaker-jet version. Much improved over that goofy jet unclogger tool they used to include.

Been going strong for almost 30 years now.

Goofed around with a JetBoil on backpack hunts for a year or so but had issues with the cold. Went back to the Whisperlite. It just works.

Fordguy

WKR
NEF Pardner single shot that I bought for $70 in the 90's. Hard to guess how many rounds, hunting squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, turkeys, deer, waterfowl, pigeons, clays, and more. Still locks up, fires, and ejects just fine.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Mt. Hardware “Room for Three” tent. Bought in 2000. It has been all over the west. It has weathered wind storms on the CA Coast and above the tree line. It has housed multiple kids and dogs. I have had other tents literally fall apart within this tent’s lifespan. It’s not the lightest but is still back-packable and comes with details and accoutrements that today‘s ultralight tents forgo.

IMG_5753.jpeg

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
Multiple Dana backpacks: astralplane, terraplane, bomb, Bridger and a bang tail.
Gregory Minaret
Msr whisperlite, (all above from mid 90’s)and Dragonfly
Red Wing logger boots bought summer of 2000
Leatherman, when there was only one I got from my Grand Father upon my Eagle Scout at 18.
Probably more, but that’s off the top of the bald head.

Last edited:

Uphills

FNG
My Leatherman, Kelty sleeping bag and most of my firearms are more than 20yrs old. My Winchester model 100 in 308 is one of my favorites. I still wear my ARMY issue boots from 30 years ago.

BBob

WKR
Funny to see someone else with a Dana Design...mines a glacier and in perfect shape. Never use it...I think I bought it in 1994ish
Mine (Terraplane) is a 95. Still have the tags. I had a later non USA produced (Mexico?) Glacier but the urethane coating went to stinking and sticky. That pack with the ArcLight frame fit and carried better than the ArcFlex for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpeg
    IMG_2524.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2525.jpeg
    IMG_2525.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I still have a box of 3 1/2" Bismuth from early 2000's. I have a gore tex rain coat that I wore as a kid. Now my wife wears it. A Remington ammo wallet that I started hunting with. I still have my first 12 gauge. Benelli Nova and my first 22lr Winchester lr also my first rifle Ruger M77 MK2 3006 with boat paddle stock.

‘82 Remington 700 30-06. Still shoots great.
‘82 Leupold scope on my sons .243. My Dad, me, and my son have all shot deer using that scope.
mid-90’s Gap fleece 1/4 zip pullover, lol. Have pictures of me hunting in it from MI, AK, MO and was wearing it while laying on the couch tonight.

Zeiss Classic 10x40s, bought them at the Powder Horn in Bozeman in 1998

Filson wool pants

Wool rich wool shirts

Winchester pre 64 .243

Beretta 391 12 gauge

Sadly, my Schnee’s pacs from 1999 fell victim to an attack from a bird dog pup.

Lowe Alpine pack that is still going strong.
REI tent.
REI Goretex shell that never leaves the truck.
Remington 30-06 and a Marlin 30-30. The Remington has been retired but that lever action 30-30 is as solid as ever.
I still have an old GAZ backpacking stove.
My favorite hat from Kurt's Fly Shop in Estes is close, but not quite 20!

Mossberg 535 that’s ~15 years old. I bought it out of college as soon as I could afford it. I didn’t hunt prior to that, so it’s my oldest piece of hunting gear I suppose. I wanted a Remington 870 but didn’t want to pony up the extra $50-100 at the time!

Not quite 20, but it isn’t going anywhere. Has dropped turkeys, geese, ducks, and deer!

TaperPin

WKR
The MSR tent stakes are worth the money, and are made from 7075 aluminum so they hold up really well. .45oz for the regular 7.5” size and .35oz for the 6” mini.

The reflective tie down cord is also worth the money - holds something like a 200lb and 3/32”. At night it’s much easier to find the tent, and I’ve never tripped over a tie down at night when using this stuff so it really does work.4EBA6CD4-A658-41B7-ADE2-7C1381485E7B.jpeg

LostArra

WKR
My rifle and shotgun are approaching 50yo but I'm most impressed with a Gerry down vest I bought new in 1971 I think in Boulder or Ft Collins. The outer material is more of a light but tough cordura while the inside is the typical thin nylon. Still warm and surprisingly still fits