Getting a bedded elk to stand up

hiker270

WKR
Cow call if they are close enough to hear you. Archery hunting in New Mexico several years ago I had a guide call a small bull out of his bed and he came to the call at what I thought was over half a mile away. I told the guide he would never hear the call and he was too small anyways. He said let's play with him. He came to within 10 yards. I'd a never believed it if I hadn't seen it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every time I run in on them......they stand up. Sometimes they scatter, but then usually stop and look around to see what the heck is going on.

Pretty much anything you do that will make them stand up means they are now concerned/nervous and no longer comfortable so the clock will likely be ticking before they scatter and you have to rush a shot. It's best to wait if at all possible, in my opinion. If I had to do something, it would be cow call.

A common scenario is you are looking at a bunch of cows but hunting bulls only. You don’t see any horns so you need something to happen. I wait. Sometimes all day. If I think I can move a little without getting busted to get a better or different angle I will. But I’m not really interested in making them get up. Not much good can come from that.

Now if I’m cow hunting different story. I’m making something happen. But again I think I’d rather do some sneaking than intentionally disturb the elk.

Your pictures so some snow so I’m pretty sure it’s chilly enough that those elk will be standing while there is still a good bit of shooting light.

4rcgoat

WKR
2017,archery elk. Spotted a cow bedded with her calf under a tree,snow was steadily falling and late afternoon. Snuck into 40 yards and was able to sneak under a tree on my knees. My plan was to wait until they stood but got cold waiting. I ended up digging up a tennis ball sized rock,had an arrow nocked and gave that rock a toss up in the air and toward them. Came to full draw and found my pin,the rock landed and they both stood and watched it roll to a stop,the cow never made it.

Marble

WKR
I prefer to wait an animal out. When they are relaxed I can usually take my time and make a good shot.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ralphie

WKR
Given a good angle I’ll shoot them bedded. I know that is against internet wisdom but I’ve killed elk doing it.

If you are going to wait them out watch the wind for sure.

ElkNut1

WKR
First line of thought, wait them out! Second because of wind swirling or other issue forcing you into action is the Nervous Grunt! Cow Calling to get them to stand & stop is very low odds!

The closer you are to them the softer the Grunt/Bark. The further the louder you need to be, be willing to adjust your volume!

ElkNut

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
They stand to pee every 3 hours or so. Unless daylight or wind is an issue, don't force something that will eventually happen on its own.

Funny story on this. I had 3 bulls come and cross a sage flat below me and bed way up above me. My father was on a different part of the ranch and I told him to get up to me because I had a bull for him. I didn't have a tag that year. He'd been through 4 hip surgeries, so it was a challenge for him to get to me. It was motivation knowing that at the end of his climb there was a prize. He eventually gets up to me and but for the spotter I had locked on him, he wouldn't have seen the bedded bull.

I tried to get a range but the Bushnell Arch finder decided to shoot craps that day on anything over 100 yards. I luckily got one reading that I somewhat trusted. I asked Dad for his range finder to verify but it fell out of his pocket on the climb up. Bear in mind, I would've had my ass chewed for days for this while growing up. Fortunately, it was Black Friday and we each got new range finders for Christmas through a Cabela's sale while sitting on the mountain.

I told my dad to get everything positioned for a shot and behind the rifle, as it had been about 2.5 hours and he'd probably be standing soon. Sure enough, he stood shortly thereafter and the bullet found its mark 380 yards through the oak brush. I hiked over and started cutting him up for a fun pack out in rim rock country.

In addition to the range finder, I also got a Kuiu backpack for Christmas, as I told my father that never again am I throwing quarters on my shoulder and coming down the rock faces again. I was one bruised and cut-up hombre after that day. And to think I could've avoided all of this with a 150 yard shot on the sage flat if I had a tag...

Last edited:
I prefer to shoot them at the base of the head. I have had them continue to lay there after I have killed the one I wanted. (Since I don't bow hunt anymore this is a rifle approach).

UtahJimmy

WKR
I shoot them in their bed if I have a good angle and clear bullet/arrow path.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk