Getting a bedded elk to stand up

Tried many things before but one that stood out this year was throwing rocks in the nearby vicinity of a bull in november. The bull didnt seem to care until I cow called at him and he got up and was on the run almost instantly. Probably the best thing is to wait. Maybe try a little squeeker predator call?

nphunter

WKR
Waiting is you’re short of letting them see you or wind you. I’ve called at several different groups with zero effect. Had 3 cows laying in the trail in a bunch on vine maple once. 30 yards away I screamed at them with every call in the book without then even looking my direction. Cow calls, barks, lip bawls, challenge bugles, chuckles, glunking, finally I started slowing walking toward then to continue with our hunt. When the cows finally got up and walked off, 10 yards above them a big 6 point stepped out and walked off as well. Wish I would have waited those out, I just wanted to go find a bull.

Had another bull bedded in a rain storm, I did everything I could to get him to stand. After 2hrs of rolling rocks and calling at him he finally stood and I missed twice, all the rain soaked into my string and my drop away string slipped through and the rest didn’t fall. I didn’t noticed it on the first shit thought I just pulled the shot, my second the rest stayed up and I could see all the mole skin was blown off.

CBE241DD-4746-4260-AA85-C19C2D456972.jpeg