Getting a new Knight Disc Extreme dialed in with Open Sights

KyleR1985

WKR
Shout out to @TraderMike for some good advice, and giving me a heads up on the sale that Knight was running. I picked up a new Disc Extreme, and started down the surprisingly annoying path of getting open sights that pair well with non-saboted heavy bullets.

I am grateful to all the folks who posted about their struggles, because it showed me everything NOT to do.

I ended up settling on the XS ghost ring setup. I ordered one made specifically for my rifle, knowing it likely wouldn't work out. So I also picked up a weaver base, and the rear sight that mounts on that. It ended up giving me the equivalent of about a 1/4" shim/spacer under the sight, versus the ramp made specifically for the rifle.

I took both to the range, and ruled out the shorter one quickly. Once I mounted the weaver base and XS sight, I installed the test kit back in the front sight, and figured out which height front blade I needed. I called up XS, and they calculated which height was needed - then shipped the front blade to me. I opted to pay for it, instead of an exchange for the standard one, as I one day may shoot sabots as well. EDIT - the front sight I ended up with is .400 height.

Today was my fourth shooting session with the rifle, the first with the right setup installed. I am shooting No Excuses 460 grain .503's, wonder wads, and Triple7 FFG powder. I had a 3" group at 50 yards with 90 grains of powder. I decided to see what that group would look like at 100. Well, I was less than pleased, as it was about 12". I backed down the powder to 80 grains, same result. I was swabbing the barrel clean between each 3 shot group. I backed down to 75 grains of powder, and like magic, the group closed to 3". It felt so good!

For folks looking to figure out how to get sighted in with these big heavy bullets, try using a weaver base/sight combination. I believe Williams makes one, and I can speak for the XS Ghost ring. You will have to use some measuring, or the test kit with the XS, to determine which height front blade or sight you want. I'm considering putting a front globe on, but honestly, if I can shoot this well with the blade, I'm pretty happy.

Question for you guys - I'm new to Muzzleloading, and am struggling to figure out ballistics. Is there a calculator somewhere that I can input rifle, bullet weight, powder type and amount, and get some idea of muzzle velocity? I know I can figure out trajectory with my shoulder and time, but it would be nice to have some data to save both. Also, I'd like to know how much energy I'm packing with only 75 grains of powder. I'm preparing for a Colorado elk hunt, and want to get a good idea of how much juice I'm sending down range.

I was about 3" high at 50, and dead on at 100, that may help with the above information.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can give you a couple of Ballistic Sheets but not for your 75 grain load. These will give you some thought on what you might be getting.

This sheet would have been 80 gr. T7

Ballistics-460-NE.jpg

90460-MTNEx.jpg

460-NE-90-Gr.jpg

Here is a link to the Hornady Ballistic Calculator

OP
K

KyleR1985

WKR
I can give you a couple of Ballistic Sheets but not for your 75 grain load. These will give you some thought on what you might be getting.

This sheet would have been 80 gr. T7

Ballistics-460-NE.jpg

90460-MTNEx.jpg

460-NE-90-Gr.jpg

Here is a link to the Hornady Ballistic Calculator

Thanks a bunch - that's really helpful. The handwritten load on the last one is a little fuzzy - is it 70 grains of T7 FFFG?

OP
K

KyleR1985

WKR
I just saw that a chrono is 100.00 at cabela's. I needed to run up and grab more powder anyway, might as well get one. I could use it in my archery tacklebox anyway.

I will report back with some ballistics soon.

No it is 90 grains. I was using T7-3f because I was shooting a sidehammer. The 3f is easier to ignite and easier to move out under the nipple.

I would continue to use 2f in your inline.

Most of the old lead conical gang would tell that 70 grains is a good load for a conical that heavy,

I can tell you from firsthand experience that 80g of T7 will kill an elk quite effectively if you put the bullet where it needs to be... usually with an exit hole, too.

Here is something else you may consider: swab between each shot so that you are effectively shooting a clean barrel for each shot. I use Hoppes 9 and Iso alcohol at a 50/50 mix. Patches should be damp, not sopping. I do this because I am not willing to risk pitting of my bore while hunting a 10 day season. It makes range sessions go a bit slower but it may help tighten your groups a bit. As for a follow-up shot, should it be needed, you already know what your groups look like shooting clean and then fouled...
Iso alcohol should be 90% or more, BTW.
Good luck!

OP
K

KyleR1985

WKR
I was able to chrono the 460gr NE Bullets with 75gr T7 FFG - three shots all 1350-1365fps.

460NE_75FFG.jpg

I just guessed at the BC based on the charts Sabotloader posted above. Would you all feel comfortable with this setup out to 150 yards to perform well on an elk?

I will be shooting quite a bit from 100-150 over the next several days.

Do you prefer blade or globe for your front sight? I like the blade and being able to have an open field of view. But I could see it being an issue past 100-125 as it begins to cover so much of the target.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I used bull shop 460 gr bullet, T7 3F 90gr at 135 yards 2 years ago . First shot kill shot , back up shot was to chase off bull that was laying the rack to her but to get her to follow him. Should have seen the look he gave me when that 2nd bullet hit her. This was different Oregon added copper jacket bullets to legal list ,, This time shooting Hornady 350gr fbp T7 3F 90gr at 144 yards kill shot , one shot elk down .My Knight Ultra lite is not for sale ever.,,,

Attachments

• EFFECTS.jpg
    EFFECTS.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 20