Getting into Canada with a DUI Conviction

Apparently effective December 2018, Canada upgraded the "seriousness" of a DUI conviction in its own country, and thus moving forward it is possible that Americans and other foreigners may be denied entry if they have ever had a DUI conviction.

FYI to anyone who booked a hunt and may have a DUI on their record, you might want to get this looked into or discuss with your outfitter in terms of possibly getting your deposit back should you be denied entry.

Here is some data from the following source http://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/

"Deemed Rehabilitation
An individual may be "deemed rehabilitated" under Canadian immigration law if they only have a single conviction that is not considered serious criminality in Canada and enough time has passed since completion of all sentencing including any jail time, reinstatement of license, probation, and payment of fines. Prior to December 2018, if it had been more than ten years since the sentence was finished and the person had no other convictions, Canadian authorities may disregard an old DUI and grant the visitor entry into the country. This policy has since changed! As of December 2018, a DUI is a serious crime in Canada and such an offense no longer qualifies for automatic Deemed Rehabilitation after ten years. This significant change is due to the Government of Canada implementing new DUI laws that increased the maximum length of imprisonment to a decade. Consequently, impaired driving offenses are now considered too serious to qualify for Deemed Rehabilitation by virtue of time, and an American with a single DWI can now be denied entry at the Canadian border even if the offense occurred more than ten years ago.
If an individual was considered deemed rehabilitated before December 18th, 2018 (when the law changed), they may still be allowed to travel to Canada without obtaining a TRP or CR but should always consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer to determine if they may qualify for grandfathered Deemed Rehabilitation. Now that impaired driving is considered a major crime in Canada, it is advisable that any American with a DUI, DWI, OWI, OVI, DWAI, wet reckless, or any other intoxicated driving offense long in their past obtain a legal opinion letter or determination of admissibility before attempting to enter Canada. If you have two or more drunk driving violations or other excludable criminal convictions on your record, you will never be deemed rehabilitated by the passage of time and may be inadmissible to Canada without a Temporary Resident Permit or Criminal Rehabilitation even 20+ years later."

Dunndm

WKR
My Spouse just got one and she has family there... so she is also trying to figure out what to do. “Apparently” after 1 1/2-2 years after you get it if you have a good lawyer it’ll get expunged? Is it true? Time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
LOL, made several waterfowl trips to Canada. A guy that has been with us on a couple occasions has a DUI and both times he was detained and questioned for a lengthy period before being allowed entry. I think you can fill out some forms accompined with a fee (yeah buy your way in) prior to travel plans, but that may have changed.

Friend tried to get expunged, a nine year old dui. Wasn't a quick thing and lawyer fees involved.

Fatcamp

WKR
When I looked into it years ago I was told it comes down to the discretion of the individual border guard who you speak with. No way to be sure you wouldn't get turned around.

F$&# them. Won't ever go or spend a dime on Canadian goods. Even if they change it now.

michihunt

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine has ran into this. He has a 9 year old DUI They let him drive thru when he moved to AK 6 years ago but turned him away at the border when he was driving to CO for an elk hunt 2 years ago. Apparently driving thru for a vacation wasnt a good enough reason according to the person who turned him away.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Pro Tip: If you try to bring a pistol across they forget all about the DUI.

In all seriousness, I threw so much paperwork at em for guns I had on me, guns I shipped, and USFWS forms for dead animals I had that they just scooted me along without any DUI issues. We used the don't ask don't tell method. Are/were you supposed to declare a DUI? (serious question) I traveled through in 2013.

Well I have two. So what you’re saying is I’m f***ed???

Ryang

FNG
It's been about 12 years ago when we went and at that time they left me through for nothing my buddy had to give them a 2000 dollar check non refundable if he got in trouble. My brother went 3 years ago with about a 10 year old one on his record they didn't say anything.

Agross

WKR
I've gotten through before without getting checked. I've also gotten pulled in and questioned. Since I had a DUI on my record , I was given the choice to turn around and go back , or pay a temporary residence fee and go through. Paid the fee, and decided I didn't really care for Canada. Answer their questions, nothing more.

Cfree76

FNG
I would like to add that this was an unintended side effect of Canada strengthening our drunk driving laws.
It was not intended to keep Americans out but stronger drinking and driving laws are something Canadians
are constantly pushing for. And just as a side note driving and texting is being pushed for similar consequences.
So if you travel to Canada often you may want to be careful with that or it could be a problem in a couple years.

How the hell would they know? Why the hell would my driving record in one state be made available to another country? That pisses me off more than the Canadian law.

Cfree76

FNG
How the hell would they know? Why the hell would my driving record in one state be made available to another country? That pisses me off more than the Canadian law.
Not your driving record...its your criminal record. They don't care if you have parking tickets or been caught speeding. They care if you have committed a major crime and in Canada drinking and driving has been deemed a major crime.