Getting the wife a bow. Need some arrow help

Luked

WKR
Going to get the wife a bow for Christmas. Shes been wanting one for a while so planning to get her an Elite Basin.
She is short like 5'2" so has a very short draw length and I know her draw weight will be low also.

Question I am wondering is what arrows to get spine wise.
I am thinking she will be pulling around 40lbs with like a 23" or 24" draw length.
I plan to have her shoot a 2 blade BH at 100 grain.
I am thinking of getting her Gold Tip 500 spine as I would rather be too stiff vs too weak but I know she is going to have a short draw and short arrows so would I be better with a 600 spine and cutting them down?
A bit of uncharted territory for me here with this one.

Bump79

WKR
I've built quite a few Bloodsport Onyx micro shafts and they are so awesome for the price. A 600 spine arrow would be ideal but a 500 could work. I'd recommend a 500 spine arrow, keeping it a little long and loading up the front a bit with the components to weaken the spine. You'll still be on the stiff side which is fine. 110 grain Ethics with a 100 grain solid 2b broadhead would be sufficient. I'd lean toward something like a Extract 100 grain.

I have a few more Onyx I got cheap not long ago and have the Ethics so I could build them for ya and ship this week.

nphunter

WKR
I would opt for a better bow personally, something designed for women that will be a little more efficient. That basin is going to be a turd at those draw lengths. A lot of companies offer women's bows which are typically lighter and have cams designed for short-draw archers.

Womens bows would be a Mathews Prima, Bowtech Eva, Moxie Angel, etc. IMO the best womens bow on the market is a Moxie Angel, (formerly the Strothers Hope).

The Mathews and Moxie will shoot much more efficiently than a one-size-fits-everyone type bow and will produce way more energy at that shorter drew length.

My wife and kids shoot Strothers Hope's which are now Moxie Angels since Moxie bought out Strothers and they are fantastic bows, light, great draw and use either limb or cable stops. My son has a longer draw but has shot his last two 4 point bucks with a Hope, one at about 45lbs and 27" draw and one at 50lbs and 28" draw. He has the long draw verson of the bow, my wife/younger son have the short draw. He is shooting a 500 spine arrow with a standard insert and 100gr expandable. He passed through his buck last fall and this year made a hard quartering shot and his arrow went in low in the ribs and the tip of the arrow was sticking out the bucks ham back by his butt, that buck took a follow-up shot but he had super impressive penetration for that shot. TAW 400gr.

My wife is shooting 500 spine arrows as well, although 600 spine arrows would spine out better, she keeps shots close and it tuned just fine with 500's. Typically lighter draw/slower bows tune much easier than heavier/fast bows. I have my wife shooting two-blade COC heads, german jagger, or Kudu points with TAW between 380-430gr. Even with the 400gr arrow trajectory is not great with a short draw low poundage bow and personally I like to stay around 400gr just to keep the trajectory a little more forgiving.

A friend had his daughters shooting Hoyt Ruckus bows until they were 16/18, they shot 500 spine 330gr'ish arrows with regular muzzy type fixed broadheads and took multiple deer and elk shooting 40lbs and 23" draw.

Bump79

WKR
A friend had his daughters shooting Hoyt Ruckus bows until they were 16/18, they shot 500 spine 330gr'ish arrows with regular muzzy type fixed broadheads and took multiple deer and elk shooting 40lbs and 23" draw.
Impossible! You must shoot 650 grains at 20% FOC or your unethical and penetration would be impossible. ;)

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Going to get the wife a bow for Christmas. Shes been wanting one for a while so planning to get her an Elite Basin.
She is short like 5'2" so has a very short draw length and I know her draw weight will be low also.

Question I am wondering is what arrows to get spine wise.
I am thinking she will be pulling around 40lbs with like a 23" or 24" draw length.
I plan to have her shoot a 2 blade BH at 100 grain.
I am thinking of getting her Gold Tip 500 spine as I would rather be too stiff vs too weak but I know she is going to have a short draw and short arrows so would I be better with a 600 spine and cutting them down?
A bit of uncharted territory for me here with this one.
I’d go 600 based on 24” draw; 40lbs; and likely a 25” arrow length (especially if potentially cutting down to a 24”). I believe that’s what gold tip recommends on their spine selector as well with those variables. The less stiff spine will also be more forgiving for accuracy, which will be beneficial for a less experienced shooter.
Also, the Elite Basin looks like a solid mid tier bow from Elite that should be easily adjustable for poundage. I picked up the prior Elite Ember model a couple years back for my son so we could adjust it as he grows, and be a better bow than a lot of what the big box sporting retailers typically carry (Bear, Diamond, Mission). If she really gets into archery, and feels she wants a flagship model after a couple years (not sure she’d need it), you’d likely be able to still recoup a decent amount back on resale. The Elite Ember/Basin should still be a desirable youth/women’s bow.

You can find some solid reviews on the Ember, as it was the value bow to buy for quality/adjustability…I’d imagine the Basin is just as good.

*added quick review link at the end he compared specs with the Ember…looks like both can still be purchased as package setups

Last edited:
For shorter draw lengths, nobody has beat Hoyt from what I have seen. They spec the cams and mods to be optimized at those shorter draws. The eclipse rips for women. Do give that one a look.

For arrows, penetration will be key. A 4mm Axis would be the crème de la crème. It’s like $60 difference between good arrows and great arrows, so I don’t skimp on that.

Marble

WKR
My wife went through a similar beginning. High 30s draw weight, but her DL is 27". Now she pulls 51 or a little more. We went back and forth between 400 and 600 spine arrows depending on her set up. Looking back, I would try to predict what she may need in the future after she builds some strength.

My wife is only 5'4" 135 lbs. Her DL is really long for her height, but for whatever reason she shoots the best there and is comfortable.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

AkRyan

WKR
Get her a woman's bow shooting any arrow setup you can get as close to 400g as possible. Short arrows are stiffer so keep that in mind also. Or do yourself a favor and just let her shoot your arrows as long as your not a 32in draw guy.

AkRyan

WKR
Get her a woman's bow shooting any arrow setup you can get as close to 400g as possible. Short arrows are stiffer so keep that in mind also. Or do yourself a favor and just let her shoot your arrows as long as your not a 32in draw guy.
To add to this my wife shoots my arrows and we both have great accuracy at 50+yrds. I shoot a vxr 28 at 27in draw and 74lbs, she shoots a prima at 25.5in draw and 50lbs. We shoot Easton axis 340 spine with 100g tips. Don't get so hung up on all the "stuff".

WCB

WKR
My wife has a BT Carbon Rose...Her arrow I want to say are 25". She has shot it at different weights between 42lbs and 48lbs. I set it up with Gold Tip Pierce Platinum 500 spines shooting a 100gr head. Thing shoots lights out and she has kill multiple deer with it no issues. Previous to the Platinums she was shooting same bow and head with VAP 500s. Killed a goat at 40yds and a couple deer with those also.

I know I have also used some stiffer arrows and 1/2 dozen goldtip 600s and really had zero issues getting it to shoot. IMO the speed isnt there to be as much of an issue.

AkRyan

WKR
I highly recommend everyone let there wife shoot your arrows to see if they work. Same reason we shoot the same caliber rifles.

ndfb35

FNG
My girlfriend is 5'2" and is pulling 25.5" DL and 57 lbs out of a PSE Mach 1. The Mach 1 is great as a womans bow as it is very light, has a large amount of adjustment in both DL and DW and is a premium product. You can get them used for a decent price now a days. I use 600 spine black eagle X-impacts cut to 22" with Easton 55 gr half outs and 125 gr broadheads. The total arrow weight is 353-355 gr with a lighted nock. I feel this is sufficient for shots up to 30 yards on game and she is also able to shoot 88 yards before she gets fletching contact so we are able to enjoy shooting 3D and TAC type events together. If you are worried about resale, the Mach 1 has a great reputation and holds it value very well.