Gila Bulls and Drought Report?

Hey all. Was lucky enough to draw a unit in the Gila for archery elk. Was wondering what the bulls are doing/looking like with a drought throughout the state. Any first hand knowledge great....horn growth, late rut, reduced rut behavior. Thanks in Advance

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Just chatted with one guy who has been out in the field. He said very little vocalization yet, but he had seen one impressive bull so far. He was headed back out to get after it again.

OP
M
Just chatted with one guy who has been out in the field. He said very little vocalization yet, but he had seen one impressive bull so far. He was headed back out to get after it again.

Thanks Justin. Any new news? I leave for my hunt on Thursday! Thanks in advance!

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
No sir. I have a later rifle hunt, so I haven't been out lately, and I got my wisdom teeth out the other day, so I haven't been at work to try to chat up any passing hunters. I'll post if I hear anything in the coming days.

If not, good luck!

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 79029 Saw this on the New Mexico elk hunters facebook page from the Gila. Seems like theres some spots of decent horn growth. Haven't heard much on water, but I'm headed out for late rifle, so interested to hear other reports.

bignocks

FNG
I just got back from the gila. Unfortunately, I didn't get one. I will say that was my fault. I called a few in over the course of 8 days. Mostly quiet but put a ton of miles on and just had to come across the right bull who wanted to play. So lots of ups and downs. It rained a bunch so waterhole hunting was a joke. I feel like it was slowly picking up. One camp shot about a 320 bull. everything was awesome on this bull except the whaletail. I would have shot him in a second.

OP
M
I just got back from the gila. Unfortunately, I didn't get one. I will say that was my fault. I called a few in over the course of 8 days. Mostly quiet but put a ton of miles on and just had to come across the right bull who wanted to play. So lots of ups and downs. It rained a bunch so waterhole hunting was a joke. I feel like it was slowly picking up. One camp shot about a 320 bull. everything was awesome on this bull except the whaletail. I would have shot him in a second.

Thanks for the report! Kinda surprising about the water. Thought it was a drought year. I can't sit still so guessing that my hunt will be a normal run and gun. Especially since your water report. Thanks again

Forest

WKR
Thanks for the report! Kinda surprising about the water. Thought it was a drought year. I can't sit still so guessing that my hunt will be a normal run and gun. Especially since your water report. Thanks again

From what Ive been hearing most of the gila was revived pretty well in the monsoon season. So the water holes and such should be good and full. Have heard horn growth reports all over the place, good bulls are good bulls tho. Good luck, ill be headed to D in second rifle. So if you guys would save one nice on that'd be great haha!!