Glass quality of the more reliable scopes

Duh

WKR
I need to get my wife another rifle scope. She’s coming from a leupold VX5hd and she wanted it for the glass quality at the time. The scope didn’t work out and I’m looking at getting her a Trijicon credo, Trijicon tenmile,
Maven RS 1.2, or NightForce SHV.

I have two NX8’s right now she’s fine with the glass quality of them but still preferred the clarity of the VX5. I have no experience with the above mentioned scopes and can’t get my hands on any of them in stores right now.

I understand glass clarity is somewhat subjective but are any of these scopes a big step above one another in glass quality alone? I’m leaning towards the credo or the maven but also don’t want to discount the SHV.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Went from a lot of Vx-5’s down to one and almost exclusively trijicon credos( 6) in various magnifications … have not been able to notice any clarity issues or issues with shooting till legal light

Reactions: Duh
OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Went from a lot of Vx-5’s down to one and almost exclusively trijicon credos( 6) in various magnifications … have not been able to notice any clarity issues or issues with shooting till legal light
That’s what I was hoping to hear. She’s got the sensitive eyes so if she doesn’t like it, guess I could always put it on my 22.

Macintosh

WKR
Agree with the above re credo versus vx5. Comparing side by side two different 3-9 credos to a 2-10 vx5, a 3.5-10 and a 2.5-8 vx3–If there’s a difference, I couldnt tell, regardless of lighting.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think my shv is as good as my vx3, but it's more than good enough to kill past legal hours. My trijicon accupoint is amazing to look through. But to be honest I think the only scope I've ever looked through that wouldn't make it to last shooting light was a center point. Glass clarity just doesn't matter much imo. It's reticle design, eye relief, and durability

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I don't think my shv is as good as my vx3, but it's more than good enough to kill past legal hours. My trijicon accupoint is amazing to look through. But to be honest I think the only scope I've ever looked through that wouldn't make it to last shooting light was a center point. Glass clarity just doesn't matter much imo. It's reticle design, eye relief, and durability
Yeah I don’t care about glass quality as much either but my wife does. So if I can get her
something that she’ll be optically pleased with, I’ll take that as a win. I mentioned the above scopes because they’re known reliable scopes and that’s my criteria for spending money on scopes now. The VX5HD was great to look through but it’s got a less than ideal track record.

I own 2 credos and am happy with them, yes side by side there’s lots of other scopes that beat it. But target shooting and hunting I’ve never felt like I’ve needed more. Great scope for the money.

I should add reticle choice is also huge, and can make or break the quality of glass or your opinion on a rifle. Between the scopes you mentioned, get the one that has the reticle you (or your wife) like better.

270quest

WKR
If you want reliability and premier glass, for a hunting scope, look at the Schmidt Bender Klassic 3-12x42 with turret. World class optics, enough travel to get most cartridges out to around 700 yards. Form recommended this scope to me for my 22 creed project. Mine is on backorder right now.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
3-18 tenmile has the same level of clarity that my 3.6-18 Mk5 HD had. The eyebox on the leupold was significantly better at high magnification though.