Glass/Lens Protection

So I have OCD and take really good care of my stuff to a fault. I’ve ALWAYS had lens caps on all my binos and rifle scopes, to try and prevent any scratches on the glass. Anyway, have some new scopes that lens caps just don’t work (Nightforce NXS) without weird issues. Anyway it got me thinking about other options.

Has anyone ever tried flexible screen protectors (like for a cell phone), cut to size and put on their bino or scope glass? Anyway, just curious if it would work, have a huge impact on clarity, or any other impacts that I’m missing (might be challenging to get on without air bubbles, etc). I know the easy answer is to just not use anything, but I’m afraid I might lose my mind if I did that simply due to my OCD.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
passinggas33
Got those already. But once the hunt starts for me, I usually leave those in the truck or pack so I don’t lose them. Looking for something a little more permanent, if that makes sense.

eawa0124

FNG
I've been using the scope caps from One Hundred Concepts for a bit now and like them. Have a set on an NXS 2.5-10X42

OP
passinggas33
I've been using the scope caps from One Hundred Concepts for a bit now and like them. Have a set on an NXS 2.5-10X42
How does the eyepiece cap work when you increase the magnification? I assume it has to rotate with the entire eyepiece creating some challenges?

eawa0124

FNG
It just sits on top of the eyepiece. Shock cord is held in place with a ranger band around the eyepiece, then runs across the zoom ring to the scope mount to tension the system, so no rotation. They also make a collar that fits around the eyepiece / objective bell to hold the shock cord and provide tension on the cap - marketed as better suited for scopes with rotating oculars.

OP
passinggas33
It just sits on top of the eyepiece. Shock cord is held in place with a ranger band around the eyepiece, then runs across the zoom ring to the scope mount to tension the system, so no rotation. They also make a collar that fits around the eyepiece / objective bell to hold the shock cord and provide tension on the cap - marketed as better suited for scopes with rotating oculars.
These look like a viable option for the Nightforce. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Still curious though if anybody has ever put tempered glass or plastic on a lens to keep it from getting scratched.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Got those already. But once the hunt starts for me, I usually leave those in the truck or pack so I don’t lose them. Looking for something a little more permanent, if that makes sense.
Leave them on, only pull them off when it's time to shoot. I feel you on the OCD and taking care of your equipment. This is the best method I've found, takes less than a second to remove when it's go time.

The potential issue I see with the pliable screen protector is getting it to lay perfectly on the lenses without creasing, because they're not flat, they're domed. If you get it figured out, post results!

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the advantage of these versus the typical flip up scope caps? I want to get some caps for my NXS but not sure which to get

OP
passinggas33
What’s the advantage of these versus the typical flip up scope caps? I want to get some caps for my NXS but not sure which to get
My problem with the scope caps and the NXS is that the scope caps rotate with the eyepiece and if they are open, you can’t rotate the eyepiece because the cap huts the stock or action.

22lr

WKR
After so many issues with flip caps getting in my way, falling off, or opening on the side of my pack when I didn't want them to, I switched to a neoprene scope cover for good. Never lost one, never any trouble with scratches or debris getting in, even with alot of bush busting and the rifle on the side of my pack. It takes habit forming, but if you have one that fits well, its easy enough to slide on and off. Ill be trying out the new SG one this year.

The problem without the physical barrier between the lens and the outside world has always been water for me. Even if there was a lens protector that fit my scope, having water drops on the lens is a big no go for me. That is where the neoprene shines. If your in a dry environment it may make more sense, for me it just wouldn't. The extra benefit is the external protection they provide from scratches/scraps as well.

eawa0124

FNG
For me - not having a hinge that can break is their advantage. And when open they sit flat on the scope.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
After so many issues with flip caps getting in my way, falling off, or opening on the side of my pack when I didn't want them to, I switched to a neoprene scope cover for good. Never lost one, never any trouble with scratches or debris getting in, even with alot of bush busting and the rifle on the side of my pack. It takes habit forming, but if you have one that fits well, its easy enough to slide on and off. Ill be trying out the new SG one this year.

The problem without the physical barrier between the lens and the outside world has always been water for me. Even if there was a lens protector that fit my scope, having water drops on the lens is a big no go for me. That is where the neoprene shines. If your in a dry environment it may make more sense, for me it just wouldn't. The extra benefit is the external protection they provide from scratches/scraps as well.
Which cover do you use?

22lr

WKR
Which cover do you use?
Right now just a Cabela's branded one. Had a fit at the range with my flip ups right before a trip, so went to look for alternatives and that's all they had besides the horrific bikini covers. But it fit good and I've been using it on my last 3 or 4 trips. Really no need to replace it other than we all know that sweet SG logo makes anything better.