Glassing Optic Upgrade - Sig Zulu6?

Neilbob

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m in need of a glassing optic upgrade, and seriously considering the Sig Zulu6, probably the 16x. All I currently have are cheap vortex 10x binos. Goal is for finding game, primarily elk, mule deer, and antelope, not scoring sheep or anything super detailed. Areas in Colorado and Wyoming I’ve hunted are a mix of timber with some openings. So shorter distance, seeing through trees, is just as important as longer distance spotting stuff in openings. I’d like something on the lighter weight side, so I was originally looking at the Maven 12-27 or Vortex razor HD 13-39 spotters. I don’t have a tripod, so the Sig Zulu6 is tempting to keep things simple and light. Any thoughts or recommendations? Budget is around $1k.

A couple examples come to mind where my 10x binos weren’t enough. First antelope hunt in Wyoming, I spotted a group about 2 miles away. Couldn’t tell if there was even a buck in the group but started hiking anyway. Ended up getting a decent buck, but that’s another story. On an elk hunt last year in Colorado we spotted a herd about 1200 yards away and I could tell from body size there was a bull in the group, but couldn’t see antlers or count points to see if he was legal. Made a significant commitment hiking in (1200 yard line of sight ended up being 2 miles steep hiking) without knowing if he was a legal bull. Ended up with a 5x6, but would have been nice to know if he was legal before hiking in.

If you plan to sit for hours in one spot, better glass and tripod are king. However, I rarely glass one spot for more than an hour, and for quickly checking hills from the truck or hiking around I love these new Zulus.

I have Sig 3000 BDX RF binos, Maven 15’s and the 16X Zulus. Unless I’m sitting for an hour plus, the mavens stay in the pack and I’m using the Zulus 99% of the time. Good for out to about a mile before you’d want a spotter.

If they could incorporate a range finder it would be all I carry. Only minor complaint is your arms get tired and a simple tripod adapter would be nice for 10+ minute glassing sessions.

Low light also isn’t great

Antares

WKR
I’ve spent a lot of time behind image stabilized Fujinons. I get the appeal; they sure are fun to play with, but they also feel sort of niche to me. For my money I’d rather have Swaro or Meopta 15s and a tripod.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
If you plan to sit for hours in one spot, better glass and tripod are king. However, I rarely glass one spot for more than an hour, and for quickly checking hills from the truck or hiking around I love these new Zulus.

I have Sig 3000 BDX RF binos, Maven 15’s and the 16X Zulus. Unless I’m sitting for an hour plus, the mavens stay in the pack and I’m using the Zulus 99% of the time. Good for out to about a mile before you’d want a spotter.

If they could incorporate a range finder it would be all I carry. Only minor complaint is your arms get tired and a simple tripod adapter would be nice for 10+ minute glassing sessions.

Low light also isn’t great
When they figure out how to incorporate the LRF into the Zulu’s I’ll pay whatever it costs. I’m sure there’s an arms race going on at all the big bino glass companies trying to figure it out.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in need of a glassing optic upgrade, and seriously considering the Sig Zulu6, probably the 16x. All I currently have are cheap vortex 10x binos. Goal is for finding game, primarily elk, mule deer, and antelope, not scoring sheep or anything super detailed. Areas in Colorado and Wyoming I’ve hunted are a mix of timber with some openings. So shorter distance, seeing through trees, is just as important as longer distance spotting stuff in openings. I’d like something on the lighter weight side, so I was originally looking at the Maven 12-27 or Vortex razor HD 13-39 spotters. I don’t have a tripod, so the Sig Zulu6 is tempting to keep things simple and light. Any thoughts or recommendations? Budget is around $1k.

A couple examples come to mind where my 10x binos weren’t enough. First antelope hunt in Wyoming, I spotted a group about 2 miles away. Couldn’t tell if there was even a buck in the group but started hiking anyway. Ended up getting a decent buck, but that’s another story. On an elk hunt last year in Colorado we spotted a herd about 1200 yards away and I could tell from body size there was a bull in the group, but couldn’t see antlers or count points to see if he was legal. Made a significant commitment hiking in (1200 yard line of sight ended up being 2 miles steep hiking) without knowing if he was a legal bull. Ended up with a 5x6, but would have been nice to know if he was legal before hiking in.
I’m gonna say go with the zulus at that price point for your purpose. I operate in a similar way most of the time and have the Zulu 16’s. The field of view isn’t quite there compared to others you can get in that price range, but I don’t really miss it. I was glassing out to 1000 yards with the 16’s last week and could definitely get detail out of what I was looking at at those distances.

I will say that my hunting partner was using his Swaro EL range and 95mm BTX setup and I was finding as many, maybe more animals than him. Usually he wipes the floor with me in terms of spotting critters.

The only downside is my son won’t let these go when we’re out so I’ll need a second pair.

They were like $800 on sale too when I bought from Cameraland.

OP
N

Neilbob

FNG
Classified Approved
Very helpful information. Thanks for the replies!

I have NL Pure 12x42 and just got the Zulu6 HDX 12x. I got the 12s because to me the 16s felt tunnely and it didn’t seem like I was gaining anything really. The Zulus are so good I’m really thinking of selling the NLs. The OIS is an absolute game changer and I feel like the glass is good enough that I won’t be missing anything. With OIS I can scan terrain so fast and still pick up every bit of detail. The biggest drawback for me on the Zulus is the FOV. If they had 20% more field of view I don’t think I would even be questioning selling the Swaros. Makes me consider the 10x Zulu. Freehand there is no contest, the zulus kick NLs ass, off a tripod the NLs obviously do better but I’m really not sure if that small gain makes up for the ability to glass quickly on the fly anywhere anytime. Am I crazy for considering getting rid of the NLs?

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
I have NL Pure 12x42 and just got the Zulu6 HDX 12x. I got the 12s because to me the 16s felt tunnely and it didn’t seem like I was gaining anything really. The Zulus are so good I’m really thinking of selling the NLs. The OIS is an absolute game changer and I feel like the glass is good enough that I won’t be missing anything. With OIS I can scan terrain so fast and still pick up every bit of detail. The biggest drawback for me on the Zulus is the FOV. If they had 20% more field of view I don’t think I would even be questioning selling the Swaros. Makes me consider the 10x Zulu. Freehand there is no contest, the zulus kick NLs ass, off a tripod the NLs obviously do better but I’m really not sure if that small gain makes up for the ability to glass quickly on the fly anywhere anytime. Am I crazy for considering getting rid of the NLs?
Same. I don’t carry the swaros very much anymore even if I know I’ll be posted up at some point.

I'm in the same boat…NL 12x42s stay in the pack. I would've never bought them if the Zulu's had came out first.

NLs are crazy good off a tripod but the Zulus stay in my harness