Gloves for the rain

Hey guys, I went out the other day in the rain and stayed nice and dry except for my hands. I didn't have any kind of waterproof gloves so my hands got a little cold. What do ya'll like to use for when it's raining? It's not something I see myself using very often but would like to have something in the pack to throw on for these scenarios. Ready set go.......

adamm88

WKR
Seal skin, iv used mine alot, i bought mine over 10 years ago and mine still work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
aclawrence
Thanks I’ll take a look at those.

*zap*

WKR
Good quality exam gloves are great to have and take up no room whatsoever in a pack/pocket. Waterproof and windproof. Good liner glove also and if your hands get sweaty in them you just turn them inside out and put them back on. I always keep a pair or two handy.

I thought about this in the past and tried a couple waterproof gloves, Sealskins is one of them, and they still soaked through. I try to just keep them warm now using Kryptek Kryton gloves, Kuiu Attack and Peloton 130 gloves(not together), Manzella archery gloves lightweight and medium weight fleece.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
I did a short review on the showers pass gloves I wore this year. They would definatly be my vote. I don't have as good of trigger feel with seal skinz. Light, grippy, breathable, waterproof, no real downside I could see. They don't break the bank either.

OP
aclawrence
I did a short review on the showers pass gloves I wore this year. They would definatly be my vote. I don't have as good of trigger feel with seal skinz. Light, grippy, breathable, waterproof, no real downside I could see. They don't break the bank either.

Thanks I’ll look for the review. Did you use the gloves that were wool?

CTR

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Sitka Downpour GTX gloves (little on the pricey side) that have the GoreTex waterproofing and have been my favorite rain gloves so far. Just make sure your sleeve cuffs are over the gloves and tight on your wrists

I have the outdoor research “mt baker mitt”. Goretex outer mitt, synthetic liner glove inside. Nice and warm and when it’s 34 degrees and raining it is so nice. Can also throw a hand warmer between the two layers if needed. I use in the PNW

Shraggs

WKR
Starting to dislike waterproof gloves. Haven’t tried all of them, but from average to high quality I have tried, they all suffer from poor breathability. More frustrating for me is if I have to my gloves off and my hand gets wet very hard to get it back in the glove.

This year I’ve been using ragg and merino wool gloves exclusively in all conditions. Merino liners, fingerless wool, wool with fingers and wool with thinsulate.

For me, Wool is warm. Wool breaths and I never get clamy. Light damp from drizzle doesn’t effect them at all. For hard rain a member here recommended the REI gortex mitten shell that weighs an once for the pair. Best system I personally have tried. Ymmv.