Gloves for windy, cold but dry conditions?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
High altitude alpine nasty windchill conditions but I need dexterity to hold my trekking poles. The softshell types seem to make my hands colder and a rain mitt would probably create a lot of sweat. Only glove that looks right for this is the kuiu axis but I would like a few more options to consider (doesn’t have to be a hunting brand).

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
i use the outdoor research firebrand mittens. Give them a google. My hands NEVER get cold in them

Look at Kuiu's tech glove. Works well for jogging/running when it is cold. Don't know if they still make them but I have a similar Cabelas-branded glove that also blocks the wind.

Edit
Guess I should just say look at non-hunting/hiking options to including jogging gloves. Tons of them on Amazon to look at.

Last edited:
OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got some new options to consider (still open to more), thanks everyone!

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Nomex/gore tex cold weather flyer's gloves are very warm for their fit/thickness, durable, and not expensive at all. I have not found many other gloves that compromised warmth, durability, and dexterity as well.

Shraggs

WKR
Regardless of temp any weather barrier gloves ultimately leave my hands colder and wet. I need breathable so for me rag wool gloves, and with thinsulate. I find even in wind cold wind my hands are now fine. I do keep a pair if REI gortex mitts yo go over the wool if it’s truly raining.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regardless of temp any weather barrier gloves ultimately leave my hands colder and wet. I need breathable so for me rag wool gloves, and with thinsulate. I find even in wind cold wind my hands are now fine. I do keep a pair if REI gortex mitts yo go over the wool if it’s truly raining.
That’s been my experience with the rest of me

id_jon

WKR
I really like my sitka gunner gloves. When it gets really cold I wear a liner under them too.

hunterjmj

WKR
Been running these for about 6 years with warm hands. Slip on and off easily and keeps my hands toasty in -10° weather. When it's not really cold I run military surplus rag wool gloves. I don't get cold easily so there is that and only wear them when it's really cold. There always in my pack though.

Last edited:
The new kuiu kenai gloves are very good. Used them in Alaska last month and was very impressed. Super light and gives you dexterity still. Very warm and breathable as well. Check ‘em out