goHunt

Depends on what you’re trying to do. Tell us what animals, what states, how often you plan on going, and what your expectations are and we can give you better advice.

If you’re going to be hunting once per year out west and only looking for a legal animal then it’s probably not worth it. If you’re going to be hunting multiple states for multiple species and looking for some more mature animals it might be worth it.

OP
21sailfish
That’s my thoughts as well but many people have told me it was. I guess it’s for people who don’t like doing their own homework!

Rick

FNG
I apply for a few out of state hunts each year and don't mind paying the fee. It is nice to have all the info is collected in one spot. It does seem a bit expensive and I know I could find all the info elsewhere.

I like the strategy guides and use them as a confirmation of what I'm applying for or sometimes use the strategy guides as a reference on what units to avoid.

Fitzwho

WKR
It’s the only place I subscribe to. I’ve done and dropped Epic and Huntin Fool.

I have Sportsman’s IDs in like 14 states. Nice to have a one stop shop of sorts for double checking draw odds, etc.

Would I like it to be cheaper? Yes.

For me it has been worth it. I have drawn a minimum of 3 tags a year for the last four years by knowing where I could draw a tag. The last two years I have had to go points in entire states because my fall is already filled before all the deadlines are up.

The draw odds are nice. The unit write-ups are pretty weak and unhelpful. It’s almost like they were written by a reasonably knowledgeable guy in another state.

NYSKIER

WKR
I think as everyone has said it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to get harvest and draw stats quick and are applying in multiple states with no specific unit in mind then yes it is worth it because of the time it saves. If you have an idea of what units you are building points for and don't apply to to many states than it is not. I'd say give it a shot for a year if you have the spare cash and if you don't then take a pass and just compile the info yourself. Like idahohikker said the write ups aren't going to help that much it's more for the numbers. At least thats what I think

OP
21sailfish
Thanks for the insight everyone. I have somewhat compiled most of the numbers myself for where I hunt but am thinking about stretching out my wings. I guess like it was said, I will try it for a year.

Vaultman

WKR
I burned $150 there this year... probably wont do it again. But if you do it at the right time of year, say Feb 1, then the next year do all your research before that day, then you may be able to get by with subscribing every other year...

I only hunt Idaho, but I did the free gohunt trial for 30 days. I felt like the IDFG website had more and better info.

norcal7.3

Lil-Rokslider
I like it. I'm a new user and not all that experienced with hunting the west. To me it helps weed out units that I have no interest in stepping foot in.

B.J.

FNG
I subscribe also and being new to hunting out west, it has helped, like people have mentioned, for consolidation of info and unit draw odds.

HookUp

WKR
I am a subscriber and will keep it. Several valuable tools outside the unit info. There is no way to fully quantify trophy size to the masses, there general guidelines are telling enough.

If you are the type of hunter that has a general idea of trophy potential, draw odds and populations in units across the western states its probably not much help. For a guy like me who doesn't know anything about Colorado other than its home of the Broncos its a huge help.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I had it for three years, and I didn’t resubscribe this year. When it first came out I felt it was better then the Competition and worth the premium. However I think that has now changed. If they don’t find away to add more value to it then I most likely will say away. I think top rut for quick draw stats with some state specific sources gets me all I need at 20% the cost. For frame of reference I apply in every state except the three on the West Coast.

bspin15

FNG
I’ve been a subscriber for a couple years and probably won’t resub next year. I just don’t hunt enough out of state to make it worthwhile. Maybe in a few years when I can hunt 3+ states per year.

I plan to have it for one year. It’s been very helpful getting oriented to all the states I plan to apply in. I’m making my application strategy for multiple species in multiple states and it makes it really fast to hone in on the information I need. Once I learn the states and units better it won’t be needed and I can look elsewhere for draw odds, updated herd info, etc. but it’s an excellent jumping off point.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used it due to cost. But doing research on these states is a royal pain in the butt. Live in CO and have been studying stats and regs here for 20 years. At some point, it might be worth it.