Going Solo

My partner had to bail out on me. Family commitments. I’m going it alone to Co in September.

I have all my gear ready and gonna give a weekend or two using it all and making sure it’s gtg. Bow is shooting good, I’m working out. I camp and hime so I am not worried about that being something new. The biggest concern for me is the solo drive from the east. coast.

Just a matter of how bad you want it. If it makes you feel better, I’ll be driving my family from MT to MA September 1st due to Uncle Sam dropping the PCS hammer on me right before the season. That being said, I’m turning right back around and driving back to MT for two weeks of bugling action before going back to work. It’s definitely doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 48. Does that mean 48 is the new 28? Lol.

I cannot wait. This is gonna be at the realization of a long time of dreaming. My dad died back in 2011 from cancer and he had always wanted to do a trip like this but life gets in the way of everything it seem and we never got to go together. So for me it’s as much a time to do something we had always talked about since I was a little kid. Of course my wife thinks I’m crazy and my brother is afraid I’ll quit hunting whitetails and doing food plotting on our property because I’ll get elk fever every year. But I can’t stop thinking about it. In some way it’s almost a relief I’m going alone. Not because having a partner is some limitation but I usually hunt alone anyway. And the idea of being solo has something else that’s hard to describe.

Easy solution. Take your brother with you, then you’ll both get elk fever and you’ll both quit whitetail hunting. Because you will get elk fever! ;)

sizzle403

FNG
Having a companion is always nice but some of my best hunts have been Solo. Super rewarding feeling when it all comes together and you put in the hard work by yourself. Good luck and be safe!

Marble

WKR

I cannot wait. This is gonna be at the realization of a long time of dreaming. My dad died back in 2011 from cancer and he had always wanted to do a trip like this but life gets in the way of everything it seem and we never got to go together. So for me it’s as much a time to do something we had always talked about since I was a little kid. Of course my wife thinks I’m crazy and my brother is afraid I’ll quit hunting whitetails and doing food plotting on our property because I’ll get elk fever every year. But I can’t stop thinking about it. In some way it’s almost a relief I’m going alone. Not because having a partner is some limitation but I usually hunt alone anyway. And the idea of being solo has something else that’s hard to describe.
I'm a cancer survivor. My father and I have hunted together my entire life. He turns 70 next year. My cancer, his aging, and seeing some of his friends pass makes someone have perspective.

In 2015 we went to Alaska fishing. At dinner one night, an older gentlemen told a story about he and his brother who always dreamed of fishing in Alaska with their sons and grandsons. His brother passed the year prior and never went on the trip.

He ended his story with a simple statement.

"There's not always a next time."

Seize the moment and follow your dreams gents.

This may very well be my first Solo out west. My two buddies decided to go out 4 days earlier than we originally planned to get “as much time as possible”. This is their first time after elk, I have told them where we would be going, showed them on maps and now they are headed out early without me! Lol.
So...my wife says “Now what?” My reply was “looks like I finally get to solo”
She didn’t like the sound of that but she understands. Might have to get one of those spot locators to cover my six and give her piece of mind. I told my buddies that I would look for them and to text me their location if they had service...but I might not look too hard!

Anytime I go out solo, with nobody to talk to, it's inevitable that I get one song stuck in my head that I don't know half the lyrics to. Usually it's the last song I recognized on the drive in. By the end of the trip I've repeated the lyrics so many times but with words that I filled in myself and then I have no hope of ever singing it correct again in the future!

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
This may very well be my first Solo out west. My two buddies decided to go out 4 days earlier than we originally planned to get “as much time as possible”. This is their first time after elk, I have told them where we would be going, showed them on maps and now they are headed out early without me! Lol.
So...my wife says “Now what?” My reply was “looks like I finally get to solo”
She didn’t like the sound of that but she understands. Might have to get one of those spot locators to cover my six and give her piece of mind. I told my buddies that I would look for them and to text me their location if they had service...but I might not look too hard!

I had the exact same thing happen to me 2 years ago. I hunt with a different group now. That wasn’t the only reason, but it really bugged me. Get an inReach, and have one of your buddies get one two if you want to meet up at all. An inReach makes all the difference to your family back home. Absolutely worth the cost.

You can’t cheat the mountain

bsnedeker

WKR
Anytime I go out solo, with nobody to talk to, it's inevitable that I get one song stuck in my head that I don't know half the lyrics to. Usually it's the last song I recognized on the drive in. By the end of the trip I've repeated the lyrics so many times but with words that I filled in myself and then I have no hope of ever singing it correct again in the future!
Dude, I relate to this SO HARD! For me the song is almost always some crappy pop song that my wife and/or daughter was listening to where I only know the chorus. So that is just going through my head ALL DAY for DAYS AND DAYS!

I do love hunting solo though! It can be tough, but so rewarding!

LightFoot

WKR
it's a LOOOOONG drive from the east coast. don't hesitate to pull over and grab some zzzz's if you need to.
Don't be afraid to get sleep. Rest/sleep is as important as fitness and mental toughness. Listen to your body.

Spend your money on experience before you spend it on fancy gear.

bmf0713

WKR
Dude, I relate to this SO HARD! For me the song is almost always some crappy pop song that my wife and/or daughter was listening to where I only know the chorus. So that is just going through my head ALL DAY for DAYS AND DAYS!

I do love hunting solo though! It can be tough, but so rewarding!
Just think of “old town road” when you get to the mountains. My damn kids won’t stop singing it and I almost know all the words without ever hearing it.

rayporter

WKR
Pull out your tag and imagine it looking the same once season closes.

to me this quote means if you don't go you wont ever have a punched tag, it will look the same forever.

on the books on tape---a good one will keep you going a long way.

and on wt hunting- after my first elk I did not care if I ever shot another wt. yes I do kill a couple a year but it was never the same -a doe in the freezer is all that is needed now.

bz_711

WKR

Your bother is right...Elk will dominate your life...that's your warning. I can hardly sit still in a treestand anymore...I want to be covering ground...elk on the brain 365:)

Load up on podcasts, enjoy the drive time to clear the mind, and stay positive. Report back and share your hunt!
Good Luck!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Although I won't be hunting solo I'm driving solo from NJ to Wy for an Oct 4th elk hunt. I'm 63 and experienced my first elk hunt 2 yrs ago in CO. Now I'm hooked. Wqy better than sitting in a tree deer hunting. My buddy I've known since 4th grade and his son are flying out. Getting into Jackson a few days early to hopefully do some trout fishing. It could be a 15-20 cigar ride!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Best advices I can give is be safe, hunt hard, and take a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Personally me I would rather have a PLB than something like a Garmin InReach. Reason I say this is because PLBs are more reliable/generally have stronger signals, on getting signal to the satellite and then to the local search and rescue. I tell my wife no news is good news until she hears from me. In which I make sure that PLB is on my person while hunting.

Also take a small med kit with some gauze, Tq, etc to make sure if something happens you live long enough for search and rescue to get there or long enough to get yourself out.

tntrker

WKR

I wish they had backed out on you sooner, I'm in SC and would have loved to had made this happen. I usually hunt whitetail all day by myself and I'm not confidant enough to go it alone. Now if I had planned with someone and they dropped out, I'd still go, but first time or two with company would seem best for a confidence booster. Been out to Montana once on a guided elk & have a NL hunt planned 21 and WY elk in 23..

Not many guys I’ll trust to stay awake and drive while I cop zzzzz. Not many guys I enjoy hunting with as much as I enjoy being alone out there. Sounds like to me Everything is coming together for you.

Plenty of nights out there on 70 or 80 I’ve been driving for an hour stopping and sleeping for 1-3 however many I can then wake up and drive another hour

I won’t fight heavy eyes and all that. I pull off. I give myself 2 and a half days to make the 36 hour drive if I’m coming from coastal ga.

I end up doing the drive a fair handful of times each year usually between being gone all summer and fall.

TNTt321

FNG
My main partner had a kid a couple of weeks ago, so I’ve been planning on going solo but would be interested in partnering up with the right person(s), if the situation dictated. I have a specific spot in the San Juan mountains (unit 70) that I will be hunting for elk, deer, and bear and we were able to get on mature animals for all 3 of those species during archery last year. I will be up there on 3 different occasions for archery:

-Aug 31-Sep 2 Tent
-Sep 6-9th Tent
-Sep 21-29 Family’s Cabin/Tent

The hunting is around timberline and includes some of the steeper terrain you can find. If you’re interested, let me know.

Kyle