Goldtip pro arrow weight?

mattfish

FNG
I was motivated to post this because of another thread. I didnt want to high jack somones elses.In September I will be going on my first ever elk hunt. I have GT 5575 that finished arrow weight is 399 grains. I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Element at 65lbs. The Goldtips are tipped with a Slick trick standard 100grain broadhead. These arrows have always shot and tuned very well for me. My concern is their overall weight. I added a 20 grain weight in the front to get to this finished arrow weight. The chronograph has these arrows shooting around 275ish. I cant remember exact numbers as I have never been a speed freak. My other option is Easton Axis with a finished weight of 412 grains. These arrows dont seem to fly as well or as consistent as the Goldtip pros. These are chronographed at 269 ish. The finished momentum when calculated had the Eastons coming in a bit higher then the GT.However as I stated the Gt have always seemed to tune better and fly better. I know that the heavier the better arrow for hunting. My question is will the Gold Tips be enough for elk? I read so many diiferent opinions/experiences that it is hard to decide.My faith is certainly with the Gt in reference to tuning and consistency when shooting. However I am not sure given the other weights others are shooting for elk. I just want to give myself the best overall chance should I be lucky enough to take a shot. I am not sure regarding grains per inch or momentum, what constituents a large difference. My calculations have these arrows rather close numerically but in the real world does the 13 grains of weight make a large difference? I am asking because I have only killed whitetail here in PA.Any help would be appreciated.

SDHNTR

WKR
Easy solution. Get a stiffer spine Gold tip and add a 125 gr broadhead, or more insert weight.

What is your arrow shaft length? I'm guessing fairly short. Bump up to a 7595 and add another 20 grains, or a 125 gr head?

I don't think 13 gr is going to matter much. A well placed arrow is the key.

I would stick with the GT's

Last edited:
OP
M

mattfish

FNG
I appreciate the thought but i was hoping that one of the two of these would be good to hunt elk. I see alot of guys using fairly light arrows and thought I was coming in at a good safe weight. Then I started thinking and it all went down hill. I am hoping tofind a good comprise between speed and arrow weight. My faith day in and out is with the Gold Tip for shooting and tuning. They are very straight and weight is dead nuts between arrows. My concern is are they heavy enough? Is anyone shooting similar weights ?

Ppl kill elk every year with arrows in that weight range. You will be fine.

I killed an elk with a 350 gr before.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Shot placement trounces all. But more weight doesnt hurt. To me a good compromise between speed and weight is somewhere in the 430-460 range. A COC broadhead doesn't hurt either.

Terrapin

WKR
I have killed elk with XT 55/75s for years with a variety of broadheads. Generally built to about 385 grains. Perfectly tuned bow and careful shot placement. I was a bit disappointed in penetration. I think I am going to start getting my arrow weight back to the 475 gr mark, even if I have to use a weight tube.

Terrapin

WKR
I generally shoot a 62 lb bow, 28 inch draw with a 7" brace. I never chronograph my hunting bows (good rule to follow, if it is shooting good groups I don't wanna know it's slow). At the end of the day I want a 425 to 475 grain arrow that shoot great groups, that is quiet, reliable and forgiving. I have a range finder and I use it. I stick with goldtips because I like the company. If you don't like the weight of 55/75 put a weight tube, weed wacker cord or drinking straws in there to boost the weight. This spreads out the weight without impacting spine.

I know you said you would like to stick with the arrows you have but I second going to a 7595 gold tip pro.
I have shot them for years till I went to 80 lb limbs. There good arrows and easy to tune.
Mine used to be in the 430 grain range with a 125 grain tip.

I shoot a 27 1/4" 7595 camo prohunter tipped with a 100 gr. thunderhead(old school I know)with a 68lb draw and love them. Accurate and easy to tune. I've killed at least ten elk with this setup. One being a 363" bull at 20 yards passing through the offside shoulder blade and another cow clean through at 65 yards. Again it's all about shot placement and knowing your limits.

300WSM

FNG
What is your arrow length? I shoot a camo 5575 cut to 26" with 100 grain slick trick 374 grain total@ 254 fps and have always had pass through. They have 12 percent foc. You may want to remove the added weight and see how they shoot