Good, Inexpensive Fillet Knife?

Crusader

WKR
A good, inexpensive (<$35) fillet knife is on my Christmas shopping list. Anyone have one that you really like in that price range?

Seth

WKR
I have a Kershaw fillet that I enjoy using, as well as the standard Rapala knife.

Buzby

WKR
Rapala or victorinox get my vote.

I have the small rapala, and really love the small thin blade for some things. It’s like a scalpel. The way it’s constructed, makes it harder to keep clean where the blade enters the handle.
Victorinox is really hard to beat. very utilitarian.

I also can’t recommend the regular (non diamond) victorinox 14” honing steel enough.

Last edited:
I clean ducks and take fish rib bones out with a 4" rapala. and a 6" rapala for geese. cheap to throw in the boat, truck and garage, works great. For most fish I use a litum ion knife so can't say how well they do for that but for Salmon I use a 9.5" buck fillet knife. Its not a Bubba but its pretty solid for half the price.

I use the 6" bonning Victorinox for big-game processing. i don't own one of the fillet knives but based on my experience with the bonning knives I would have to think that's a great option in this price range for a do it all 6" knife. I might need to grab one for myself now that I think about it.

Another vote for the rapala knives, own several and use them on fish, birds, and butchering big game.

Blasey

FNG
It really depends on the abuse they will be put through and how long between sharpenings. Dexter is a good medium steel as is the KRKT, the work good on the boat, just need to have a sharpener handy after a few Halibut/cod. The bush fillets knives I have can handle quite a few fish before sharpening but the salt starts to get to the blade at the end of the trip. I keep a Kershaw in the kitchen for final cleanup. That thing gets wicked sharp - it sharpens easy but dulls easy as well. I don't have any experience around the Victornox or the Rapala knives so I can't say.

FYG

FNG
Opinel makes several sizes of their folding filet knife- simple, sharp, and a great option for the pack for boning out game in the field as well as working on items in the kitchen.