Good optics for Tikka 30-06

loordan

FNG
Hello everyone I am looking at various scopes for my Tikka. I currently have a diamondback 3.5-10x50. It’s not a terrible scope but I am looking for something with better eye relief and preferably custom turrets. Ideally wanting to keep it around 1k or under. The type of hunting I will more then likely be doing will be under 100 yards but potentially out further.

Based off what you’re describing, I’m not going to recommend heavy, expensive, first focal plane scopes like Nightforce.

Get a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 Firedot Duplex like new showroom demo from Euro Optic for $949 or a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 duplex. These are excellent glass, second focal plane scopes.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Based off what you’re describing, I’m not going to recommend heavy, expensive, first focal plane scopes like Nightforce.

Get a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 Firedot Duplex like new showroom demo from Euro Optic for $949 or a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 duplex. These are excellent glass, second focal plane scopes.
Yes, get one of these and have fun chasing zero all over the place. The shv 3-10 is not FFP. My LGS has the shv for $999, sometimes on sale for $899. The SHV is within 1 ounce of a conquest and 3 ounces of a VX5. Nothing about your argument makes sense.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Hello everyone I am looking at various scopes for my Tikka. I currently have a diamondback 3.5-10x50. It’s not a terrible scope but I am looking for something with better eye relief and preferably custom turrets. Ideally wanting to keep it around 1k or under. The type of hunting I will more then likely be doing will be under 100 yards but potentially out further.

The SHV is a good suggestion.
It does not hit home on the custom turrets part, but hunting inside 100 doesn't warrant that. It's a "lifetime" quality purchase. https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...3be7-00163ecd2826?variation=1940868&query=Shv

@gr8fuldoug is a good source to purchase one.

Trijicon likely has a credo or ten mile model that would satisfy your desire for turrets.

OP
L

loordan

FNG
The SHV is a good suggestion.
It does not hit home on the custom turrets part, but hunting inside 100 doesn't warrant that. It's a "lifetime" quality purchase. https://cameralandny.com/shop/tags/...3be7-00163ecd2826?variation=1940868&query=Shv

@gr8fuldoug is a good source to purchase one.

Trijicon likely has a credo or ten mile model that would satisfy your desire for turrets.
I should have specified better in my post. While this scope will more then likely under 100yards I will be doing some hunting in the mountains from time to time and over in open country as well so mainly 500ish yard would be my max.

sndmn11

WKR
I should have specified better in my post. While this scope will more then likely under 100yards I will be doing some hunting in the mountains from time to time and over in open country as well so mainly 500ish yard would be my max.
If that's the case, look at the reticles between the Maven RS1.2, Trijicon Ten Mile/Credo, and Bushnell LRHS2 and pick what you like best.

If it isn't a nightforce or Trijicon, it will not hold zero. Hahaha. The leg wetters on this site are comical. Plenty of good suggestions on here so far. I have had great success with Zeiss scopes and their optical clarity is amazing for the $.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If it isn't a nightforce or Trijicon, it will not hold zero. Hahaha. The leg wetters on this site are comical. Plenty of good suggestions on here so far. I have had great success with Zeiss scopes and their optical clarity is amazing for the $.
That nightforce on my 30-06 has held zero over a thousand miles of being bumped around in a snow machine, 2 bush flights and probably close to 80 hours of being bumped around in a jet boat. I’m not saying your Zeiss won’t hold zero but that nightforce I have sure does.

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Who cares about clarity, at this price point they are all good. And are you hunting with it or are you peeking in your neighbor's windows?

I put a Leupold VX6 2-12 on a 30-06 like yours. I have since sold it to a buddy that just hunts hard and does not geek out like we do or think much about optics. It goes in his truck and bounces around on unpaved roads, travels in float planes and hikes around SE Alaska. He is still working through the 200 rounds I hand loaded for him years ago when I sold it to him. I can assure you he has never checked zero other than shooting a stump at 200 yards with the CDS dial but what he points at falls down. Having said that you have probably figured out for whatever reason the Tikka 30-06 has a pretty good thump so I would not mind the weight of the SHV mentioned earlier.

I put a Leupold VX6 2-12 on a 30-06 like yours. I have since sold it to a buddy that just hunts hard and does not geek out like we do or think much about optics. It goes in his truck and bounces around on unpaved roads, travels in float planes and hikes around SE Alaska. He is still working through the 200 rounds I hand loaded for him years ago when I sold it to him. I can assure you he has never checked zero other than shooting a stump at 200 yards with the CDS dial but what he points at falls down. Having said that you have probably figured out for whatever reason the Tikka 30-06 has a pretty good thump so I would not mind the weight of the SHV mentioned earlier.

We have 12 members in our hunt club and no one geeks out like we do on Rok Slide. Of course there is the opposite side of the spectrum that gets a 3.5” group at 100 yards with Hornady American Whitetail and is ready to go get em!

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
SHV 3-10. Tape an elevation card on your buttstock and remove the turret if you need to dial. Otherwise, capped dials for bush hunting like the SHV for 100 yards and in is a good thing.