Gore Tex boots are ALL a joke.....c'mon

chopchop

FNG
I have a old pair of Gore Tex lined Vasque boots that I bought in the 90s (before they were made in SE Asia). I broke them back out this year because they are the lightest pair of medium duty hikers I have. I reconditioned and retreated the leather. I let then tested them by letting the boots soak in a trough of water for 2 days. The leather eventually became saturated and soaked through, however the Gore Tex liner held. There was a quarter inch of water between the leather and the Goretex, but it did not leak. These boots are 17 or 18 years old.

I have also had good luck with Vasque sundowners, but I've also always waxed them, so I can't say for sure if it's the goretex or not. Either way, dry feet for me, unless I step in over the top of the ankle. Mine are only 8 or so years old, but going strong.

KMD

Banned
Picked up some Tectron spray to treat my GTX boots with. Every little bit helps, so gave it a shot...

The polymer spray is like a DWR coating, posta be for 'breathable' garments (not the silicone spray!) After gettin'g the mud off, treated a relatively new pr. of Salomon GTX boots with the Tectron spray. Let it dry for a day, hit them with the hose, and the Tectron allowed the water to bead off the outer boot, pretty well. We'll see if/how it performs on the mountain, next week...