Got my first Southern Pacific Mule deer

I'll keep it short as possible on story but I could write a book (if I could write worth a damn)
Living in a city in socal (SD) I never grew up around anyone that hunted. Have had zero experience with hunting or anything associated with it. A lot of what I heard about hunting was bad. For some reason when I turned 35 I got a undeniable urge to hunt. I've always been into the outdoors, backpacking etc. But it never completely satisfied the calling. I hit the research hard, bought every book I could find on mule deer Including Robby's book. and went out every weekend and "hunted". After the first season I was pretty discouraged, its known the hunting in socal is not great but I was making mistakes and learning. This year I started by a out of state hunt in AZ, learned a lot and missed a 30 yard shot. Was starting to think maybe this isn't for me. Wife's prego so I didn't have much time for archery opener, but made it out for rifle. this season I sat on my ass and let my glass do the walking, never seen so many bucks. Second weekend and I went out, saw bucks but they where running around after does or searching for them and very fast moving so I would lose in a drainage before I could get in range. Saw 3 and lost all 3. So I packed up and headed the way I saw all the bucks. I basically still hunting down to the valley floor, walk 5' and glass. Well I spotted one and ranged 247, had no shot or a good rest so I snuck down on ridge to get better shot. Made it into 123 yards and right as I ranged he went behind shrub. I set my crosshairs on other side of brush anticipating his route and led him with to the scope. He walked straight into my crosshairs and I pulled the trigger. Heart racing and damn near feeling like I was having a panic attack, ears ringing (forgot to put on earpro) I got back on scope for a follow up shot, DEER DOWN!!. Dropped him on first shot! I'm super pumped and happy with how it all went down, I got fairly close (bowhunting helps with that) didn't wound or lose a animal and hes a cool buck for socal. I had zero Idea what I was doing field dressing but did the best that I could and packed him out 3.6 miles (That sucked so good) I'm hooked and can't wait for more. Sorry if rambled just wanted to give back story.

Attachments

• buck5.jpg
    buck5.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 171
  • buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 182
  • buck4.jpg
    buck4.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 181
  • buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 181
  • buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 176

Mt Al

WKR
Congratulations! So happy for you. "Sucks so good" - got that right! Hope this is a foundation you build off of for the rest of your life, thanks for sharing your story.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
We need more of folks like you. Well done. And congrats on coming to the light. It’s immensely satisfying to know what you are putting on the table came from your hands and hard work. Makes me even more grateful for the animals in a much more personal way than buying meat at a grocery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowler530

WKR
Congrats and welcome to the ranks! Great story and pics! Oh, and a big Congrats to You and the Mrs. on your pending huntin/fishing partner!!! (y)

Big congrats! I also grew up in SoCal (OC) with no hunting influence and started at a later age. I understand the effort you put on it.

Next time research boning out the meat, saves a lot of weight on the pack out. I do the gutless method.

OP
PlumbHunter
Big congrats! I also grew up in SoCal (OC) with no hunting influence and started at a later age. I understand the effort you put on it.

Next time research boning out the meat, saves a lot of weight on the pack out. I do the gutless method.

Yeah I've been researching more on the process after the shot. I watched video's and kinda did gutless 1/4. I def should have boned out, but my head wash mush for quite awhile after the shot. Couldn't believe I got one.

OP
PlumbHunter
Congrats. Now that you know you can do it, make sure to enjoy all hunts whether you kill or not.
I def enjoy them all. Out here in socal a lot of days are just being out with no action. Anytime I'm out there I'm far more comfortable and relaxed than when I'm in city. Seriorsly thinking about making a move and a compete lifestyle change for the better. Just got to trick the wife into moving.