Gout, help me out

cgar82

FNG
I don't take apple cider. Since taking Allopurinal, I rarely have attacks, only slight discomfort once a while. With that said, I don't recall having the prednisone shot, I do recall the cortisone helped tremendously. Maybe try it the next time??? I wish I was more help because I know the pain and anxiety it can cause, especially during hunting season.

Bob6180, the stiff drinks are likely the cause of the gout or at least are not helping it. Alcohol raises the uric acid in the body and prohibit the breakdown of the crystals they create in the joints. Lay off the booze for a bit, get some cherry juice and drink lots of water and it should subside. Apple cider vinegar can also help, take a shot of it and put it in a small glass of water and chug it down, there isn’t many ways to make it taste good. GNC makes a pill form I have used. Also stay away from processed foods and sugar foods and drinks. It’s a tall order but if you have a trip coming up you will want your uric acid levels as low as possible going into it and make sure you stay hydrated on the trip! If you drink Gatorade get the sugar free G2, the normal Gatorade is loaded with sugar. Also stay away from aspirin, only use IB prophin or Tylenol.

on a side note... if you drink beer, I find it’s worse than whisky, and I mix my hard stuff with flavored sparkling water rather than pop now or sugar free pop and think its a better option than beer.It’s hard to avoid drinking no booze sometimes and this is the lesser of two evils for gout.

Also good to be aware that gout may present itself differently than you may be used to.

As mentioned earlier, I get 1-2 attacks per year. Always in a big toe. Never anywhere else.

Last week I thought I severely sprained my ankle, but couldn't figure out how or when, except the pain was intense when walking and just below the ankle bone itself on the outside of the foot. For a full day I hobbled about, barely able to walk, until my wife suggested it might be gout. No way I said - doesn't feel like gout at all. After some heated fellowship I took a few of my gout meds just to end the argument and within an hour was pain free.

So apparently colchicine is quite effective on ankle sprains as well. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

boom

WKR
you all do realize even without the searing pain in your toe or knee, whereever..you still have Gout right? the attack is just a flareup of Gout. even in your happy pain-free days, Gout is still slowly eating away at your joints.

i was told, left unchecked you are at risk of those disabliling swollen joints and stuff. my moms hands and toes are damn near rigid.