GPS or in-reach

frostop

FNG
I am currently packing a rhino GPS and would like something lighter and I never use the radio function. I have been looking at all the Garmin line mainly the Oregon but wonder if that is even overkill? Really just want a basic GPS that has topo less all the bells and whistles. I am considering the in reach just to keep the wife at ease but I don't think it has topo? What do all of you use and if you could add pros and cons that would be great? Gary

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I upgraded from a SPOT to the DeLorme InReach SE this year and also started using my iPhone as my GPS instead of the nice but heavy Garmin Montana I've used in the past. The Gaia & OnX maps that I download before the hunt have worked extremely well for me. Now it's time to sell the Garmin.

What buttekid said... This really isn't an OR decision as the InReach Explorer makes for a piss poor GPS. If you want an exclusive GPS buy a Garmin, if you want a communication device buy the InReach SE. Personally I think a cell phone is better than any GPS available. There are plenty of threads on this.

xziang

WKR
I'm guilty for carrying both the in-reach this year so family can track my path and also carry my Garmin 60csx. The Garmin stays on from sunrise till I am done for the day and is used to hit points of interest I already have programmed into it and keeps track of my patch. Also curious as to how many miles I walk and elevation change etc.

OP
F

frostop

FNG
Cell phone will not work in the areas that I hunt(no service). But if your talking about using the cell phone along with the Delorme that may be an option? How well does that work, and what is the battery life like on the cell phone?

Does anyone use one of the etrex units? They seem to be the lightest?

OP
F

frostop

FNG
I stand corrected! Just went to the Backcountry Navigator site and did some reading!
Gonna look into this a little further!!

Still doesn't sound like the battery life is that great?

ChrisS

WKR
I stand corrected! Just went to the Backcountry Navigator site and did some reading!

Depends on the phone you're using maybe and how often you're using it. The screen is a huge power hog on most phones. Keep the brightness down to a minimum and don't use it often. If you're not using the phone for entertainment you can get quite a few days out of an iPhone in airplane mode. Add in a portable powerpack for a couple of recharges and you can get a week or more.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
So. Garmin bought Delorme earlier this spring. I'm waiting to see what comes of that. I'm hoping for a sweet all in one unit.

Before I went to Kodiak, I installed the GAIA app on my 6S+. It is slick. You download the area before you go and it works in airplane mode.

With that said, I'm not sold on my phone being my stand alone GPS, Camera, video camera, library, juke box, bible, flashlight, everything. One day out of the blue during the middle of my hunt the thing went nuts. Shutting off on its own saying it was out of juice when it was showing 90% charge.

I had my backups along so was not worried, but I think I will keep a few backups until I am totally comfortable with JUST the phone.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

I've been using this program with my android phones for a few years now and very rarely take my Garmin GPS. I do also carry an InReach on most of my trips as well so I can check in and make sure all is well at home. Battery life has been good imo and depends on how you're using your phone. I carry a battery pack like others have mentioned and can easily get a week out of it using it only for gps/mapping and my shooting app.

elkyinzer

WKR
I can't get comfortable with just a phone. Too fragile and too many battery issues for now.

As others said the InReach does not work as a standalone GPS, so I am carrying that and a Garmin eTrex 20 as my GPS. It's as light and basic as you can get for a GPS with decent color topo maps (you have to manually load the maps you want but it's pretty easy to figure out). Only complaint is no lock button so I am constantly marking waypoints and whatnot in my pocket.

Also as others said, with Garmin having acquired Delorme (maker of inReach) in the past year, hoping that they have something in the pipleline that will be one standalone unit. You'd think they would, but I guess you never know.

In Airplane mode a phone will last up to 4 days if not more depending on how much you use it. The screen is the major consumer of battery once the radios are off. Also, Backcountry Navigator allows you to turn GPS on and off as needed so if you only turn it on when you need it that will help.

The GPS functionality of the Earthmate app doesn't even use the InReach for GPS location; it uses the phone's internal GPS. However, the Earthmate app is no better than the InReach Explorer and just doesn't have enough features to be useful IMO. If you simply want a map with your location then yes it will work, but if you want tracks, waypoints, overlays, etc. then you will want either a standalone GPS or some sort of other phone app like Gaia, BCN, US Topo, or OnX Maps.

Trial153

WKR
I just picked up an inreach se. Last season was my first ditching my Garmin and just using my phone. I used Onx and it worked well enough for anything I needed. I liked not carting the stand alone GPS.
The inreach is purely for keeping things squared away on the home front. My wife get antsy when I I am off the grid for serval days. And with the hunts I have planed over the next three years they aren't in places I can hike to a high spot and call home.

If Garmin and Delorm make full featured combined unit I will go with it for sure. But for now I will stay with my phone.

OP
F

frostop

FNG
Steve O and Trial53,

I was thinking the same thing as far as Garmin coming out with a good GPS that would communicate with home, and if they added a descent 20mp camera, all would be great!!

Well I downloaded the trial version of back-country Navigator, I'll check it out and see how my phone does with it. I am not a fan of using my phone as entertainment so maybe that may work out???

Trial153

WKR
just a thought. When Garmin bought tri tronics. the very next year they released a combined GPS unit with a tri tronics trainer. Looks like it was in the works before the deal was made. I wouldn't be surprised if this the same deal with this.

OP
F

frostop

FNG
Trial, I have already decided to wait and see what comes of that!
That would make perfect sense if they came out with one unit that would do both!!

Jason__G

FNG
I run the explorer and my Android phone. Explorer for communication/texts to family/emergency etc. It seems to always work and texts get out no matter where I am. I always carry it as I am often solo in the back-country and the SOS beacon is worth the weight.
I use the phone for maps and use several GPS apps.
GPS essentials app for raw data like sunrise/sunset/moonrise/altitude/LAT/LON, and sat status etc.
Earthmate for nav. It can either use the GPS in the phone, or if it is blue-tooth connected to the Explorer, it uses the GPS in the Explorer. The app also makes messaging and waypoint managment easier. Maps are easier to download to the app than OnX by far.
I usually keep the phone in battery saver/airplane mode in my pack with the Explorer on the front in easy reach. If I need to add a way-point, I just use the explorer and give it a quick name. A couple of times a day, I connect the phone via bluetooth which syncs the data and then I elaborate on the waypoint names etc if needed. If I need to use the phone for sat image or topo navigation, I clip it outside the pack while using it.
I also use my phone as a book reader and tend to get 3-4 days on a cell battery, and 4 days on an Explorer charge. I carry different battery chargers based on time of trip to charge both devices if needed.
So far the system works good for how I use it and keeps me from carrying extra stuff.